May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, AGS), 266 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Saw a nice .410 double yesterday-out of the way gunshop. I know the owner- he had a nice Phila Fox A 12 a few years ago-It is a Savage/Stevens 311- but made under contract for the Sears Roebuck catalog (back when Sears and other sold shotgun via mail-order) to it is marked JC Higgins on the receiver sides-looks like it was never fired- not a mar on the full stock with black plastic BP-ditto forearm- mint blue and bores- 28" I am guessing Full and Full- DT Extractors and 3". It is for sale at his price (firm on that) at $550- got home, only check I could run were ads in GUN DIGEST- the two numbnutz Dick and Craig that are all over that publication like flies on a shitwagon in July had a few- all into 4 figures. I am strictly a 12 gauge gunner-never owned or shot a .410 (or 28 gauge)but I can see the appeal-until I priced the shells- $17.50 box of 25 target loads- I can buy 4 boxes of Federal promo loads in either 7 & 1/2" or 8" from GM for $16.00 so guess I'll stay with my 12 bores-but just to learn something, anyone care to venture a guess- Owner said that Stevens put better wood and finish on their Sears contracted shotguns- this was real walnut- not some crappy assed stained birch- and by the way- he also ID'd the bl;ack plastic BP I have in my "cigar box" of strays-as going on a plastic-aka-tenite Stevens buttstock-RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run, Mr Hemingway would not be proud.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those .410s that Wildwood has have been advertised a L O N G time. $550 is a heck of a lot closer to a real price than anything Dick or Craig have as a price on those guns. My opinion, anyway. You really want a laugh, check out what they think an Iver Johnson "Skeeter" in 28 gauge is worth, in the same issue.

Agree totally on little gun ammunition pricing-but, some sucker is born every minute, and even Wal Mart knows, and takes advantage of, that fact.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Say Tim- my Sandy and Dusky amigo(?) I am a big fan of both the lates Ernest Hemingway and Nash Buckingham-think I see the connection now- Ernest wrote while in Cuba at his Finca Viga estate one of his sons was a masterful shot with a .410 double-have to look that up- Nash B., on the other hand, wanted the .410 banned from all hunting-upland and waterfowling- as he felt on game birds it was a crippler-except in the hands of a very few expert shots-the shotgun was indeed petite- and the twin barrels and the rib gave a fair sight plane-but for a small gauge gun, I'll use the M12 20 ga. 28" mod. my Grandfather gave me in the 1950's for a birthday present-nothing smaller- I appreciate your input-RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/29/08 08:31 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Ted- agree 200%- seems like these two "Gold-dust Twins" of the GL ads sure have a boat load of guns for sale-they listed a 1932 M54 in .270 as a Super Grade at $2750 or something ridiculous- the SuperGrade came out in late 1935 as the M54 was phased out for the improved M70-when I asked him for the serial number so I could look it up in Rule's book- he said he'd have to call me back- ditto with my ? about removing the barrel/receiver assembly from the stock- to verify the SUPER stamped on the 6 o'clock position (along with cal. and year) on All SuperGrades-you have the correct windage Ted- Caveat Empetor!! RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my knowledge Stevens never made a 311 .410 with 28" barrels; bet they're 26". Checkered wood or plain? $550 is not a bad price, especially for one with real walnut; just depends if you want one or not. Mine is a 5100 with checkered walnut; doesn't get shot much but is a fun little gun.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is why I made the statement about the .410 in the post about the Fox rib (matting)that someone was asking about. The .410 is not at all practical unless you have access to the empty hulls and a reloader that is set up for it. Otherwise, it makes a nice collector's gun........ I believe many of us agreed on here a few years ago (and it became pretty standard) that any .410 SXS (even down to a 311) in nice shape is worth at least $500.00. So, I would say that that is pretty much the rule of thumb on this board. Maybe a little more by now. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I have to agree with Jimmy. Pretty much any .410 SxS in good shape seems to be worth at least $500. I saw one 2 weeks ago- BOITO (sp?)Made in spain, sold by K-mart back in the 70's. It was in good shape, but everything I've ever read about those guns has been bad. Poor steel quality, internal parts break easily, impossible to fix etc.etc. I passed on the gun at $450 (thought the guy was smoking the good stuff) but 2 guys about knocked me over trying to get to it. One ole' boy damn near broke his wrist getting his money out. I would think that a Stevens in good shape should bring what your guy is asking. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saw one on GB yesterday for $1200.00. Yikes!

Sidelock
Sidelock

i'm betting you didn't actually see it sell for that. i checked the closed items and there were only 2 that even had bids. one was a 5100 with a custom stock that got bid up to $625 (and did actually sell). the other was a 311 that got bid up to $325 and didn't meet reserve. were several others started in the $485-$850 that were listed over and over and over with no bids. nobody seems to be fighting over those.

roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.