May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (mel5141, Jimmy W, FlyChamps, Jeremy Pearce, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 292 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,529
Posts545,870
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chux, CB:

The corn is really twisted and drying from Black's Landing(Brown's Ferry/Reactor) back to Greenbriar on the North side of the river, so the harvest and early dove season may prove to be good for the migration.

CB: where did you shoot down South; drop me an email.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Beautiful pics Pete! Opens here on 1 Sept. Eurasian Collards are invading here also and count with the Mourning limit (15/day). Been shooting an ounce of 8's (lead) in my 1911 Sauer Model 8 for decades.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hal
Beautiful pics Pete! Opens here on 1 Sept. Eurasian Collards are invading here also and count with the Mourning limit (15/day). Been shooting an ounce of 8's (lead) in my 1911 Sauer Model 8 for decades.

Hal,

Thanks.

The eurasian and mourning are both year round residents here. I usually start seeing the migration around August. So I am expecting it soon. The state has some managed hunts. There are a few clubs around, but on the expensive side for dove.

Pete

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Managed hunts here, too. (1) No shooter may consume in excess of two cases of beer during shooting times. (2) Deck chairs may not protrude past the confines of the deck. (3) No screaming at the football games on the TV during the shoot as it may scare the pigeons away. (After a case of beer, we don't care if what you call them as long as you shoot them.) (4) Any type of pellet gun is legal as long as you don't shoot my dog. (5) No shooting after dark as one might hit a rabbit hunter during spotlight hunting. Rules are strictly observed.......Denny Crane

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like Georgia will have a 70 day season, divided into 3 parts extending into January. Opener will miss the Sept.1st labor day holiday since its a monday and be on Sept 6th, a saturday. The limit is expected to be up from 12 birds to 15, and they are considering upping the wood duck limit to 3. (I'll believe that when I see it since the woody limit here has been 2 all my life)...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm excited about the 6th! Of course we start on the 5th. Not the doves just the BBQ and the eating.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like my hero Nash B. I am a 12 ga. man- and I use the "newbie" Parker VH for barn pigeons, don't eat them- the cats and 'coons do Had a hunting pal-called them squabs- he grew up in Indiana (where doves are legal)said mourning doves and barn pigeosn are cousins-maybe? One thing for sure- when they "launch" they drop down first to load their wings- I have seen some "peppered" barn pigeons shed feathers in mid-air, do a barrel roll, and stay airborne-and as the live bird boys use 12 gauges- so do I-only I shoot for fun and practice--RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/30/08 08:38 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
chux Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chris, sept 6 is going to be hot, thats pretty early for the season. Corn does look good this year.
Chukh, the 12g. all use 2 1/2 shells, and are low powered.
Run with fox, The south is still pretty hard on the peta types, so its still a big deal here for dove hunting. No steel shot mandated. I only hunt them the opening weekend, but they get my juices going for the bird hunting to follow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The limit in Alabama was recently raised to 15.

Every year we have a couple of shoots around the local peanut mill. Ringneck dove hang out there every year. We set up in the pasture and fence rows next to the mill and catch them coming in.... talk about fast shooting!

One of the biggest problems here is that there is so much food, it's difficult to concentrate birds. Generally, the best shooting is in the late season when the peanut fields are grown up in winter rye and the birds are force to concentrate on corn and sorghum fields.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting this thread came up. I'm going out to eastern Colorado this weekend to visit with the various landowners we have been hunting on for the past thirteen years. Season opens Sept.1st and this year it's the Monday of labor day weekend so all of us are taking Tuesday off of course. You know any old excuse to take a day off.

We've been invaded by the Eurasians here but I have yet to shoot one. They stay in town and don't venture out in the flat crop country where we shoot. Looking forward to setting up camp, do'in some grill'in and ohhh the cold beer. Can't Wait!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.