March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Travis S, 12boreman, MattH), 623 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

I noticed that as well. Certainly a unique approach. I have never seen it done this way before nor have I seen any written references to such a technique.

I guessing they are trying to show what the rolling mill would have done. They seem to be simply stacking iron / steel. Although the proportions are very large... This is a demonstration barrel after all.

This would have been the normal billet construction before being rolled.

This shows the chemise. If you look closely you can see the split. The chemise would have stayed with the barrel through out the forming. The smiths were constantly removing and inserting the mandrel. I believe it kept the barrel from being welded to the mandrel. The chemise would have been removed during the initial boring.

What is missing is the collar and handle that would have extended to the right. Also the material would have been at a right angle to the mandrel during the forming, but you already know that Joe.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very, very cool Chris!
And after recently viewing PeteM's Damascus documentary, even more meaningful.
Thanks,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, I loved the DVD documentary.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris,

Looking at the far left side. When you view it head on, are these solid pieces of iron and steel?

Glad you liked it Tim. There are still many questions.

Thanks,

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, I agree that the rolling mills probably supplied the finished billets in the time period we're generally concerned with. However, I suspect that the construction techniques were evolutionary. That is, early on the blacksmith himself probably drew out the metal into usable billets and began the process using rather large pieces of metal. This is very doable and lends itself well to what a small shop was capable of doing and considering the lack of communication,transportation and demand it seems most likely. Then I can imagine as patterns became more complex and the industrial revolution progressed that specialized rolling mills took over the duty of constructing the billets. Of course this is mere speculation on my part but it seems logical.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

You are correct as usual. We know that the rolling mills did not come to Belgium in a "big way" until the 1830's. By 1856 Higny had produced a sheet with 20 different patterns. There were patents being filed in the 1890's for various patterns in Belgium. Also, the rolling mills themselves were under going change. I have seen engravings of the early mills that were hand operated. By about 1880 this had changed.

It is one of the difficulties of the research. A description from 1910 simply may not apply to the process in 1810 or even 1880.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Attached is a picture of the end. Also is a piece from an Ithaca that Oscar re-finished for me. My appologies for the poor picture quality.
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gunsmiths, blacksmiths, forges and furnaces were more connected than one might think because other than weapons being taking from waring factions, this connection was where most of the transfer of technology occured and it was all centered around the mines and hydraulic power. John Cockerill arrived in the Liege area circa 1817, which was a part of the Netherlands, and he and his family designed/made spinning machines since by law the technology couldn't be taken from Britian. Withh the Meuse River nearby as well as the mines and other essentials, they also started to produce steel and in 1826, according to some sources, had the 1st coke fired blast furnace in Europe. Quality pattern welded tubes takes quality steel and up until the time John Cockerill was shackled w/ the task by William the 1st of the Netherlands, Belgium's steel was lacking. By 1838 Cockerill had it all: blast furnace, foundary, rolling mills and forging mills. So the rolling mills that produced billets could have shortly followed the blast furnace technology of 1826. BUT, revolution was at hand and the Cockerill steel works ceased production during this time and I almost everything else followed(If my memory of history rings true, I think it is here that cotton production left Belgium and headed to the South States(USA)). The Netherlands were dissolved in late 1830 and Belgium had some sort of constitution/ruler by January of 1831 but the Netherlands didn't recognize Belgium until 1838.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 07/15/08 08:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris, With one picture being worth a thousand words, thanks for thousands of words woth of very descriptive knowledge. Seeing what's involved makes you wonder why Damascus guns don't sell for many times what their fluid steel counterparts do.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at the steel all extended out like that really makes me wonder how Jean Delcour and his crew ever figured out how to "write" names in the Damas. And then to do it over and over again in the barrel, quite amazing. It is a shame that damascus barrel making is a lost art. But if they were made today we probably would not appreciate them as much as we do. I really sorta hate to buy a gun that doesn't have a set of damascas barrels on it. Seems that a gun with fluid steel does not have much personality. Even though I do own one or two of em.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.