I had the opportunity to handle a number of 20 and 28 gauge RBLs today at the Allentown, PA gun show. Apparently Galazan has some floor samples that he's sending around to shows to drum up more business. Order forms were available.

Configurations included most of the variations - single and double trigger, pistol grip and straight grip, splinter and beavertail forends, and 28 and 30 inch barrels. All of the guns wore 4x or exhibition grade wood, either Turkish walnut (very impressive indeed) or Claro.

I have to admit that I was impressed. These are very attractive guns in the flesh; actually more attractive than the photos on the Galazan's web site. All of the samples had significant upgrades, with the pricing running from $4160 to over $8500. Nonetheless, they handled beautifully and were well fitted and finished. My personal favorite is the 28 gauge with 30 inch barrels. What a delightful gun.

I haven't ordered one and with three college tuitions for at least three more years, I will not likely do so. However, after all the sturm und drang about these guns, having the opportunity to examine them personally has caused me to conclude that those of you who do have one on order will probably be very happy indeed when it arrives.

From an amateur, FWIW.

As an aside, this was one of the most interesting Allentown shows in quite a while. Among the treasures on offer was a cased crossover 10 gauge hammer gun of very nice quality, but without a proof mark. $2800 would have taken it out the door. The only name or mark on the gun was a retailer from somewhere in Michigan. Still, it was delightful and in beautiful condition.

Another interesting item was a Sedgely(sp?) custom .22-3000 on a Stevens 44-1/2 action. Not many Sedgely single shots around and most of them are on Winchester Hi-Walls. At $1195, it almost made me regret the Alfred Hollis 10 gauge hammer gun I just purchased. So many guns and so few funds.