April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, Lloyd3, PALUNC, JDH, Upland 28), 196 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cosmi made/makes Ti barreled guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well then, there we go.

There is no why.

--Tinker

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Tinker,
Earlier than that, I believe reading about a shipment of Mexican produced concrete reinforcement rod that set detectors off as it passed on truck near the White Sands military installation.

It was really, really hot.

Maybe should mention at this point that I'm OK with good old steel barrels. Hell, my Darne 12 weighs six ozs less (6lbs even, to be exact) than my 16, and isn't what I would use for 100 targets any day of the week. Either gun, come to think of it.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I understand it the 96:1 ratio was primarily based upon considerations of recoil. This was I think based upon giving the gun using a standard powder charge for normal velocites a recoil velocity of approximately 15 FPS. Burrard in his most excellent book does not mention the shot wt to gun wt ratio at all but confines most of his data to the gun's recoil velocity. The 12ga 2½ "Low Velocity" load giving 1¼ oz shot a MV of about 1050 FPS has less recoil than does the Standard "Game Load" consisting of 1 1/16oz shot @ an MV of about 1270 FPS. The 96:1 ratio takes no account of MV's at all so is somewhat limited in scope.
Burrard stated experience had shown most shooters found a Recoil Velocity of about 15 FPS comfortable, while one of around 16 FPS was about the limit most would be willing to endure except for very limited shooting.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tinker,
On the 'hot' Ti, I recall some yrs ago we here at, then MDC, had a QC problem with Ti Huck bolts containing inclusions of tunsten. It turned out that some of the Ti was recycled Soviet subs and the tungsten was from the careless/poorly trained welders 'dipping' the TIG electrode in the puddle and letting it solidfy then breaking off the tungsten tip. During the electro-remelt, the mfr stated the bits of tungsten didn't get melted into solution. We never thought to see if any of them were 'hot' from being in a nuc boat.

On the aerodynamic drag of a swinging shotgun, I'm gonna disagree that it's a detectable aspect by a shooter. The average shot swing velocity at the muzzle is very low IMO. If it were high velocity, you could hear the howl of aerodynamic drag and a sxs would be noticably easier to swing than a o/u. I don't ever recall feeling any difference in the swing resistance from one or the other of equivalent static weight distribution. Also, the resistance would highest at the fastest part of the swing, usually the latter part. I just don't ever recall feeling that either.

I just think the velocity of a muzzle is just too slow on any conceivable shot that it would produce any noticable drag. I do believe that it may play a factor when the wind gets up over say 20-25 mph crossing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck-

It just occurred to me that we're getting dangerously close to one of those "muzzle flip" conversations.

Think of how that one could go considering the behavioral differences between alloy steel and Ti tubing!

It's good we have such nice weather lately, isn't it Chuck?

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

maybe the muzzle would flip right over the shoulder.

I dunno about you, Tinker, but I prefer the fall for more reasons than I like hunting. This 90-100F stuff can slow my projects down. Waaa waaaa waaaa. I suppose I'd complain if it were 65F and windy too. Some others have it way worse I suppose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

65F
Partly Cloudy
6mph breeze from the east...

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even Beretta has an OU that's about 6 lbs...that's as light as I'd ever care to go.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.