May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Thruxton), 661 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,056
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I wanted to come to NJ or PA to shoot, what, if anything is required for me to bring a gun into the state?

GWP Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am from Pa. and hunt both states. Pa. is relatively free and does not have rules about bringing guns here (assuming you are not a felon), but if you intend to hunt you have to follow Pa. Game Commission regs re caliber/gauge, ammo type, etc. As for shooting, the only limitations are those imposed by the ranges themselves.
NJ is more like California with respect to guns. Nonetheless, there are gun clubs there and we hunt, though not with centerfire rifles.
Since gunwise, it is a semi-police state, I would double check all information I got from the Internet.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

GWP,
Thanks. CA does not require any particular actions of a visitor with a gun other than 'unloaded and inaccessable' in a vehicle like most states. Does NJ require any notification or permit to enter the state, retain possession, and shoot at ranges while in the state?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck; I don't know anything about NJ but I live in Ohio and travel back and forth once a month to PA with multiple guns each time. I always keep all guns cased and ammo in a carrier bag of sorts. I have an SUV so technically they can be reached together but I have never had an issue. I've been doing it for 18 years. Although I have never been pulled over either. I did have a friend hit a deer in PA while traveling to NY to duck hunt. He said there was a firearm and he was going hunting(4AM). He was cuffed and taken to the station and was told it was procedure. No other problems but just a bit of a hassle. Got his gun and picked up in time to get his limit.

Last edited by sweep; 06/10/08 06:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck: NJ is a patchwork of no, maybe, and don't get stopped. I shoot at two clubs in south Jersey; am a member of one. Guns in compartment with no access from passenger cmptmt [for me that means a dog barrier behind the seats in 4RUNNER]; guns cased and cases locked; ammo in separate locked container. Standard reply if stopped: "I am en route to range" or "I am enroute home". I don't agonize over whether I am allowed to refuel "enroute" but I don't leave vehicle unlocked and unattended and I don't buy ANYTHING ELSE [not "home of tax-free shopping so why would I?]and don't make relief stops so am reasonably compliant (in my view) with the law/customary and recommended precautions as I understand them. I also have never been stopped so that's probably an agony of de facto intimidation/confiscatin I've been spared. Better get a NJ CLEO in the jurisdiction you wish to visit and the state laws and dig in.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pa. doesn't have a gun case law, you will see pickups with rifles and shotguns in a rack. Must be unloaded. Pistols can be carried with a permit (God help you if you use it.) Unless a felon they really can't turn you down to get a carry permit. Why you would want one, who knows.
N.J. is another ball game, all guns cased and ammo in seperate part of vehicle. Pistols not sure of. Legally, years ago it was that if you were going from one county to another to shoot you had to notify every county you were passing through. That is legally, when I lived there and going skeet shooting never did it. I believe it pertains to pistols.
Varmit hunting with a rifle you need a special license to do so and that is your permission to carry.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

Rabbit gives good advise. NJ gun laws are as crazy as any state in the union. Double check before going to NJ.

PA is the exact opposite. As long as you stay out of Philly, you are good to go.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What's the deal on Philly?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

I know that everyone thinks NJ is nuts but it is not any worse than many other states. I have lived here all of my life and I have never had any problems transporting a properly cased gun anywhere in the state. No need to notify the whole state that you are transporting a gun that I am aware of. I hope you make a point of calling me if you come to NJ to do some shooting.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

talk to a NJ CLEO, Lawyer or at least a established respectable firearms dealer first to get info about the new rstrictions on purchase and possibly possession of ANY ammo in NJ. a NJ subject MUST have a valid NJ Firearms ID in posession to buy or poseess any ammo here. It would be wise to check on how that affects outsiders who want to come here to shoot/hunt.

I would immagine that you should be fine if you are just passing thru but stopping here to shoot/hunt can be a very different matter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.