May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (AGS, Hammergun, Jeremy Pearce, canvasback, 1 invisible), 900 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,839
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

From what I can remember Rabbit, your SAC gun has alot of blank spaces.
Perhaps wild boar 'n truffle motif?

Is it cheaper to upgrade or buy new from CSMC?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The American shooter is so ingrained with the idea that a shotgun can be purchased off the shelf and used, much to the chagrin of our English brothers, who tried, unsuccessfully to teach us, that you can't do it that way!!!!
It will stun the average shotgunner how well they can hit and hit succcessfully when that firearm they're carrying around actually fits.
I learned through a fitted (bespoke) Spanish sidelock double while I was in the Navy over in Spain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
Is it cheaper to upgrade or buy new from CSMC?
Probably a toss up on cost - if you use the best craftsmen and materials to get the job done. I believe that the advantage of your own custom upgrade is that you get it exactly as you want it.

Here is my plain Jane AE Fox 16 - an upgrade done about 15 years ago, and not cheap even then - about the same cost as a CSM Fox when Tony first started making them.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: outdoorlvr
In the 1960s and flush with some disposable income for the first time, I sent a pair of early A grade Fox guns to Savage for upgrading to Fox D grade wood, extra barrels, and metal refinishing. They were beautiful, but a few years later, they had gone the way many of my doubles have gone.

As I reflect on this pair - a 16 and a 12 - the wood was almost overpowering. Roe Clark had done his best in its selection and fitting. I don't think I'd do it the same way again. Today, and with a field grade L.C. Smith, for instance, I think I'd be inclined to specify a little bit better grade wood, but leave the checkering in the field grade configuration and let it go at that.

I don't think there's any real right or wrong answer here, but now I wouldn't want to get too far out of wack with how the gun was originally constructed. Might fudge a bit on wood quality, as you've seen, but thats it.

I think I saw those guns in NE at a gun show back in the late 80s or early 90s. They were on a table with a bunch of junk, parts, pistol magazines, etc. They were the only "good guns" this dealer had, I believe he had a factory letter about the upgrades. I was more impressed by the guns - very nice - than the dealer. I felt like asking him if he won them in a game of chance or something...but silence ruled.

How did they get from CA to New England?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Snowleopard,
I haven't heard from Outdoorlvr in what seems like over a year. He had been dealing with health issues but was looking good when we went to the Costa Mesa gunshow in 2006 (I think). I hope he is well. It seems like he has a daughter in my Torrance neighborhood and he lived in Oxnard, CA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

D.A.L.
please PM me your email address and I would be happy to send photos of my father's custom 20g Fox.

best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you have to consider each gun individually; for instance a couple of years ago I bought a 16ga L C Smith ejector field grade that had been poorly restocked but otherwise was a sound gun with very little original finish for 450.00. Just restocking it didn't make sense so I had Ken Hurst engrave it, Classic Guns recolored it and reblued the barrels, I am stocking it when I feel like it. When it is finished it will be the equal of almost any Monogram L C made, priced one of these lately in a small bore? I know I would never be able to recover the expense of redoing this gun but it is what I want. In another case I have a 20ga field L C no ejectors, factory 26" barrels, 2 3/3 chambers; it has a lot of case color, almost all of the blue but was minus the stock when I bought it. I just happened to have a nice original stock, so it makes sense to fit it to this gun and make a nice profit. This is where my signature line makes sense

Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven Fjestad made the remark in one of his recent bluebooks, on Parkers, I think, that the guns are not rare but the original condition is. Doug Manns' Fox upgrade pictured here is gorgeous, but I hope his starting point was a well worn specimen. Of course it is his money and his gun and he could use it for firewood and scrap metal if that is his wish. Any attrition of original collectible guns only makes the remaining stock more rare and valuable. One troublesome fact is even if an owner has the best of intentions to never misrepresent a refinish or upgrade as original, he has no control of what happens after it leaves his hands. I looked at a Sterlingworth a few days ago with silver receiver, plum barrels, very worn dark forend, and a like new butt with near new checkering. The dealer swore it was original and that it was common to have perfect checkering on the grip and mere traces on the forend. Same guy had a refinished Baker with the gaudiest cyanide colors you ever saw and pronounced it all original also. This happens all too often, and sometimes the deceit is not so obvious to even the more savvy buyer. If I was Dictator of the World these bastards would be in the Gulag, but I'm not, yet, so Caveat empetor, and please excuse my warm fuzzy tolerance.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.