April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Leonard10, fab500, Stanton Hillis), 432 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Cheap stuff for the field. Expensive stuff for the safe.

Ducks=12 ga. 3-1/2 Browning Gold.
Large upland = 12 ga. Citori field.
Small upland = 20 ga. CZ SXS.

Regarding "go tos", interesting. My pencil-check quick count of the first named gun noted by each respondent indicates about 11 12 gauge guns (and most of these on the lighter side), 9 16 gauge guns, 6 20 gaugers, 2 410s and a couple of neat percussions. The most often mentioned maker was Fox - - and all of these were either 20 gauge (3) or 16 gauge (3).

Many respondents chose to list several go-to guns by game choice. Only the first was counted.

A final observation is that sometimes I feel that half the Fox 20s and 16s still in use are owned by forum members - - (and probably 75% of the HE Foxes).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Greg Hartman
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Greg
Beautiful Model 42!
Steve
At one time, I used the 42 for "wild" bird hunting.

Did you shoot it one handed? If not maybe you could loan it to David Foster (referencing his idiotic column in Gray's a couple issues back).

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Boxlock
Boxlock

As far as mail ordering shells, if the custom shell manufacturers would supply mixed load flats (such as 2 boxes of #6's and 8 boxes of #7.5's without charging me extra) I might be more inclined to mail order what I need. Last year I shot some black powder loads through the gun and they were really sweet.
Steve

Rockdoc,

I just placed an order for a mixed flat at RST. They let me mix flat of 16 gage 2 1/2" 1 oz #5s and 1 oz #7 1/2s without any extra charges.

For all around, I have an old 1939 vintage Model 12 (32" of full choke barrel and shoots all very nicely).

My walking through the field all day chasing the dog gun is my new fabarm AXIS Al 20 gauge with 30" barrels, choked 5/10 over 2/10.

Chris

PFD Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My go to Gambels quail gun: 20 ga LC Ideal, 30" ejector gun, choked full and full.
My go to Mearns quail gun: 1902 Parker VH 28 gauge, 24" barrels, choked IC and full.
My go to Guinea fowl, pheasant, and everything else outside of AZ: Fox A grade 12 gauge with 26" barrels choked IC/Mod.

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Originally Posted By: Greg Hartman
Greg
Beautiful Model 42!
Steve
At one time, I used the 42 for "wild" bird hunting.

Did you shoot it one handed? If not maybe you could loan it to David Foster (referencing his idiotic column in Gray's a couple issues back).

Sorry - I don't understand the reference - cultural pygmy, I suppose.

No - I didn't shoot it one-handed. Why would anyone do that? .410's are tough enough without playing such silly games. Now and then I see people shooting some of the easy skeet stations one-handed, from the hip or the like - and frankly I think that is a very bad practice - what if you lose control of the gun? On game that is unconscionable. At the very least I would leave if I saw anyone doing that - not only is there the safety factor, but a hunter has a duty to dispatch game humanely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably it's about hunting pheasants with a .410, some folks just won't believe how effective a properly choked .410 can be out to about 25 yards. I'm convinced that my best friend pretty much hates .410's and we get around it by just not discussing them. Seriously, discussing .410's and pheasant hunting always brings on contriversy.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

For upland a Philly Fox 16ga Sterlingworth.....sshhaweeet.
For waterfowl a Benelli SBE of course; this is tough business... no beauty contest.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome SNR !! Btw, how exactly does that work? .. the SNR ;-)

Hope that you'll stick around and also that you have some water for those ducks wherever you are. Been pretty skinny here in N. TX the last couple or three years with a lot of the old fave holes mostly died up. We have ducks, of course, but not like before.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.