May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Marks_21, Jimmy W, SKB, Kolar Dickson), 684 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,056
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have the paper in front of me, but the docs that came with my 425 show it as 1967 production (I think).

Has anyone ever seen a GR2 with an articulated front trigger?

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, Pete your right about Beretta driving you crazy. I have a 627EL Sport and the ones I've seen for the American Market have SST, Pistol Grip, Tubes. MIne has an english stock, DT (with front trigger hinged) fixed chokes (IC/IM) and weighs in at 6lbs 4oz (and this is a 12ga) full scroll engraving. I got it for a good price and I use it for a late season pheasant gun. This is the only one I've seen with this configuration. This of course leads one to say it was ment for the european market.

Very good discussion here.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I took some quick shots of the catalog.

Here is the trigger which they call "hinged"

Notice their use of "Greener" here. They like to refer to many of their guns as having a "Greener boxlock". In Italian they say, "Typical Greener closing". On their better guns they refer to Purdey triple closing.

These spec's are for the American market.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

To help identification here are some pictures of my 1970 (XXVI) GR-2 with aticulated front trigger. 12 gauge, 28" 2 3/4 extractor, vent rib, POW grip and semi-BTFE.

The gun Mike shows certainly looks like my GR2, except with a coin finished receiver. No sling mounts on mine either. Possible refinish with sling mounts added?

Note mine has "GR-2" stamped on the rear of the trigger guard, and "G2"? stamped on the rear lump.

It's a great late-season pheasant gun, and swings nice at 7 lbs 1 oz (with a slip on pad to lengthen LOP).

Bryan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another thought Mike... Re-finish, import or whatever... IMO if the rest is as nice as what we see in your photos it could make a heck of a nice shooter if in the $1000 - $1500 range. I'd be very interested if I didn't already have one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

i am begining to think the gun has a different model name in the US
based on the barrel steel and date of manufacture Wilsons Book (if you believe it) says 425 maybe these are called GR's just like the S50E sereies seemed to go by the BL name
FWIW from the book "The Model 425 succesor of the model 409PB A 3 lock gun with visible triple lock bolt"
the 424 reads Same as model 425 but with positive double bolt only

Sidelock
Sidelock

smle, I think Wilson screwed up. We have both the GR guns and the 424-5-6 guns here in the States, and they are not the same guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The GR series has the rib extension. This is a 424 receiver, no extension.

The other differences, bluing / plating, etc are merely cosmetic. As to the product name (type of steel) on the barrels, they could and did change that from year to year. Again, they offered a sightly different product in each market.

Wilson is a good survey. He should not be taken as the last word with regard to Beretta. He had a huge task, attempting to document over 400 years of weapons. In addition to giving a rough sketch of the history. I think it is better than some of his other books.

Most of the guns Wilson shows can only be seen in a museum or private collection? When was the last time any one saw a Beretta shotgun from the 1880's up for sale? I have "heard" of them changing hands, but only through private channels. Heck most of the catalogs he shows will never see the light of day!

Pete

GWP Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George Caswell at Champlin Firearms identified my Beretta 409
just by a verbal description over the phone. He sure knew his stuff.
I would mention to him that there is a smooth curve at the rear of the receiver (i.e. as opposed to a scalloped one). http://www.champlinarms.com
580-237-7388

also, consider this:

The Beretta Silver Hawk, discontinued back in 1967, was resurrected in 1999. The old version sported a satin chrome receiver, high solid rib, checkered pistol grip walnut stock and forearm, double triggers, and plain extractors. It was a boxlock gun with monobloc barrels in 12 (3" chamber) and 10 gauge (3.5" chamber) only. The Silver Hawk Featherweight was similar but lighter and came with a beavertail forearm and standard 2.75" chambers in 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauges with a choice of double triggers or a single non-selective trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

my gun a 1956 built 410 was confirmed by Beretta Australia perhaps you could try the US Beretta importer? they were able to identify mine by serial no

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.