May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (old colonel, Hugh Lomas, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 293 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,377
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88090 03/16/08 04:45 PM
Mike B. Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi
Really a babe in the woods when it comes to old foreign doubles. Perhaps some members could look at this gun and give me their opinions and pointers as to what looks good versus a bad buy. Trying to learn about old doubles but don't find many here in Wisconsin. Any and all comments truly appreciated. This gun is on Gunbroker.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93838482

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a very nice chunk of wood and a nice looking gun as well. I don't know anything about Leige guns, but I do know that $1000 doesn't get you a whole lot of gun these days. Being 16 gauge makes it even nicer in my untrained eyes.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some useful info.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike;
I am simply not current enough on value to advise there. The gun is a pre 1924 by the proof marks. It is chambered for the 2 9/16" 65mm 16ga shell & should not be used with over the counter US 2 3/4" shells. Suitable shells can be obtained or loaded. I could not make out the bore size, but the marks should reveal them. Nominal 16ga bore would be 16.8 (.662") If this one be that, then chokes would be about .015" & .024" or about Mod & Imp Mod. It would appear to me the Dogs & Hogs are probably an etching, while the scrolls may be cut. Overall a nice looking gun & probablly reasonably well made. It has ejectors & the Anson forend latch.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's in Switzerland?? Are you over seas? Do you have an FFL that can import it? I'm curious myself about how you would even get the gun here.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You picked one of the most complicated guns to try to buy. First is is not even in the US. Then you have to learn how to import it if you win the auction. If it is a bust you have almost no real chance to send it back, read the fine print. This is a bad crap shoot for one of the self appointed experts and a real adventure for one like yourself. I am not trying to pick on you.

In fact if I wanted to run a scam I would do so from overseas. Real hard for someone to find me and get their money back or to punch me in the nose. This seller looks as good as they get with almost 300 feedbacks and not one bad gripe. Not many dealers like that on the auction sites.

First buy only guns that you get to examine in person. The internet, for a new buyer, is almost the worst place for you to buy a gun. Go to a gun shops or visit several gun shows. Take someone along who knows what they are doing when you go to look at a gun. Do not fall in love with any gun. If you fall in love you will not note all the warts and dents that you must see when buying. Do not buy any fixer uppers.

Find either a nice shooter or a high condition newer gun to start with. Like trains, guns are not to be limited to the first one you see. They made thousands of them and another one will be along soon. So set a hard dollar limit for your first buy and wait until you find the right gun.

If you want a foreign gun do some research into them. Limit your search to one country or one maker. Far easier to become fluent in one gun maker than an entire group of makers. Have you looked at Darnes as a starting point. Solid built guns, lots of information and they are just different enough to be interesting to all who see them.

The gunbroker gun has a lot of external wear and grime. Is it pitted both on the surface and in the bores like the photos look like? Condition is not that great from what I can see. Engraving impresses us a lot because it is very expensive in todays cost but most guns were engraved for just a few dollars when made. Some of the best British guns cost less than three pounds to engrave when made. Fifteen dollars in the then current exchange rates of 1900. That was for full scroll work of the highest level. I would keep looking for now.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

mark beasland is in wisconsin.before you go through the problems of import talk to mark/ mbabllc.com or mark if you are out there post your contact info mc

mc #88139 03/16/08 10:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, If you are looking for double guns in WI I will be at the show in Madison this Friday and Sat. I usually have 4 tables with about 50 doubles. If you are interested my contact info is on my website. My website is not up to date and I have much unlisted inventory. I have guns in all price ranges and would be glad to spend some time with you and answer any questions you have.

mark #88785 03/21/08 01:14 PM
Mike B. Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank You All
I wasn't so much convinced I wanted to buy this gun, but thought it would make a good test case re: the good and bad points to watch for as a neophyte buyer of the older guns.
Mike B.

Boy, that scroll work is so much nicer than anything you can get on a new gun. Why is it again that we can't get scroll work as nearly good as what was commonplace a century ago? Is this the definition of "progress"? Are things really "better" now than they were?

So many modern guns, guns that cost many thousands, have scroll work on them that looks "childish" compared to the older guns...

That gun you asked us to look at does have pretty scroll work. And to your point it is a good test case. But, yes, as KYJon stated, from the pictures, she looks pitted although that internal bore photo is so blurry and is almost useless except it does readily show corrosion pitting on the ends, suggesting pitted bores for sure.

I basically concur with the recommendations given to you. Befriend someone who knows "old foreign doubles", not just guns But beware of the talkers, the arrogant or showie or double speak type who have alot to say but have a difficult time remebering that he said the opposite a few sentences ago. Find a direct, knowledgeable guy and ask him to help you find a good entry foreign double gun. Also, from experience, I find some of the guys who are really into foreign doubles and have a ton of money do look down on a newbie and ONLY seem to be able to talk about five figure guns; not much help for a new guy who wants something around a $1000 or so.

I definitely agree to the strategy of visiting gun shops and seeing and holding as many guns as possible to help you decide what you like. I didn't realize how much I liked LC Smith's until I heard them call me from gunshop gun racks with 30-40 guns of all makes on them. Who knows, you may think you want a foreign double and then hear an old American call out your name. (hahaha)...But seriously, actually picking up any gun is much better than online, although as you stated you can use the online guns as valuable test cases. Although after a few online busts now I am re-thinking my purchasing strategy as well. Those darn photos can be misleading, perhaps as much as they can be telling sometimes.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Mike B. Offline OP
OP Offline

Many Thanks Yogi et all:
As I said not many older doubles show up around here that aren't
much to be said for. I've garnered names and shops that may teach
me the essentials.
Thanks All for your help
Mike B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.