May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Skeeterbd, Marks_21, bsteele, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,790
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
PeteM #85576 02/29/08 04:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The wood looks very German to me ..... I had a table from germany with almost the exact carving .....

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

ellenbr - Pauly worked with Durs Egg in England. Egg built a couple of Pauly guns, one of which is in the royal collection today still in the case with all cartridge making accessories.

After Pauly and Egg got together, Pauly abandoned his gun experiments and went full fledged into dirigible airship design. Egg financed Pauly's "Dolphin" which eventually failed and lead to financial ruin for both Pauly and Egg.

In all of my studdies, I can't find any evidence that Pauly was a gunmaker himself. He always shared a shop with an established gunmaker and worked on design. Pauly guns were made by Prelat, Robert, Egg, Roux, Lefaucheaux etc. Think of it like the Anson & Deeley Patent and all those who made guns on that patent.

Many of them included changes to the Pauly patent, like the gun made by Robert in 1832, which included a very Pauly like cartridge, that had a nipple for a percussion cap in the back instead of the Pauly Rosette.

Sadly, many of the Pauly-like guns were a regression of the Pauly patent, rather than a progression.

Vintage and Double Gun Loony
PeteM #85594 02/29/08 06:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to have been made by a poor Bangdaglesian hoping some
Moron in America would buy it from him.
The initials are probably not his as he would be afraid of a lawsuit after it explodes on the first shot.

PeteM #85595 02/29/08 06:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first impression of the gun, and the same impression I get right now, is that it is a cheap trade gun made for the African market and very much like the ones shown in my Stoeger 1949 catalog reprint. Doubles with carved stocks, strap brass guard, superficial engraving and cheap locks. The one I have leaning in the corner is stamped Spain on the top of the breech. I know nothing of the barrel grooves but imagine them simply decoration easily machine accomlished.

As for the Pauly, here is a photo I shot of the one belonging to Daryl's and my close friend. I did some rather delicate restoration on the gun and wrote a story about it for an early issue of Shooting Sportsman.

(This photo looks little odd because it is a scan of two magazine pages)
The Pauly had a stock carving remotely similar, but vastly more complcated than the gun presented here. They may hve been done on the same continent, but that would be the only commonality to this double in question.
Best,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

I spoke with that Bangdaglisian on the phone the other day about my credit card. He found new employment!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kevin:

Can you source me on the Pauly-Prelat connection?

First, in no way did I intend to infer that PeteM's find was made by Pauly. I would agree that it is a lower end longarm w/ French tubes and not worth the 6 "C" Federal Reserve Notes as the reserve.

But if the texts that I have read are correct, taking Pauly out of the equation would be the equivalent of taking the pen of inspiration from Tolstoy. His contact or influence w/ the following apparently directed the course of firearm technology: Johann Nikolaus von Dryse, Casimir Lefaucheux, Henri Roux, Eugene Pichereau, Clement Pottet, Bastin of Paris thru Lefaucheux, Francotte thru Lefaucheux, Robert(patent #8061 of April 27, 1831 - cartridge) and LePage. From "Systeme Lefaucheaux", "While Lefaucheux' 1835 breechloading pinfire shotgun, like Pauly's breechloader of 1812, was almost totally ignored in Britian, their designs spawned scores of related inventions in France." Also, William Greener left this world denouncing breechloaders describing them as "specious pretence". But Joseph Lang from the 1851 London Great Exhibit, considered the Lefaucheux such a novel idea that he developed his own version, (possibly without giving proper credit). - Michael McIntosh - "Shotguns and Shooting".

If England had embraced Pauly and/or his technology he may, or may not have, ventured into shaky ventures.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 02/29/08 10:03 PM.
PeteM #85622 02/29/08 10:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

from the description and the few I can see under the barrel, it was proof in St Etienne before 1856.
geoffroy

g gournet
Sidelock
Sidelock

A cheaply made piece. The stock wood puzzles me. Almost want to say it's one of the tropical hardwoods that were commonly coming out of Africa to Europe in the mid-1800's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks alot like oak.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kevin, Raimey, and Steve, thanks for the Pauly info. Intersting subject and I see lots of people have given thought to Pauly. There is not enough written on him and the guns he inspired.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.