May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (j7l2, R Reynolds, susjwp, Hoot4570, eeb, 1 invisible), 657 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,641
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83919 02/20/08 03:09 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a stevens 311 12 gauge - 28" barrels, so I am assuming it is choked modified and full. It certainly patterns that way.
Anyhow, I am thinking about using it to hunt waterfowl. With specific regards to steel shot, is there an advantage to having choke tubes installed versus simply having the chokes opened up to IC/modified?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know anything about the cost/benefit of modifying your Stevens, but I believe a modified choke is the tightest constriction recommended in general. I do not know if steel is compatible w/ your gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be a more useful gun all around if you opened the chokes to IC and MOD, and IMHO, OK for steel that way, and cheaper than choke tubes. Why a 311 though? Upgrade a little to something nicer to carry...Geo

Reconsidered what I'd said there about upgrading to a nicer gun. Probably none of my business. Also, I'm a fan of the Stevens 311. If you get it wet, no problem; if you scratch it up, no problem; if you drop it over-board, you're not out much. Pretty perfect Duck Gun come to think of it.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 02/20/08 04:09 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Also if I ruin it shooting steel out of it, I am only out about $300.
What about skeet/light modified versus improved cylinder/modified?

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have the same gun!! Grew up shooting it at rabbits and quail. Mine is also choked M/F. I'd either open it up or shoot Tung/Iron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: stevehaun

What about skeet/light modified versus improved cylinder/modified?

My experience with steel is that it will pattern tightly no matter what choke you use; and that more open chokes work better. Certainly, the more open you go with the choke, the "safer" your barrels will be shooting steel. Some 311s might be old enough to have questionable steel...Geo

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

My stevens is relatively new - post 1969 because it has a serial number. I think I'll go with the more open choke - skeet/light modified. This choke is still a good upland combo with lead and would be safer with steel.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a Stevens 511 (I think) that was like the 311, but had no raised rib. I used this as a waterfowler when steel was new and did not notice any damage for the light amount of shooting I did. I sold it when advised it was not appropriate w/steel and bought a Rem.870. The 511 was choked M/F. I was going to experiment with steel shot in an older double I have now, that has very nice barrels, but I do not want to risk breaking the stock on this old sidelock gun and have been unable to find someone to load BB size shot at around 1100fps so that I may do a test. My thinking on this subject is that newer guns like Remington 870s or Merkel 147s, that are suitable with steel (w/open chokes) are only slightly tougher than their steel barreled ancestors, thus the current steel loads with far more substantial shot cups should not harm many older guns. I don't know this, it is just a theory. The easy solution is to buy an old 870 or 1300 and hammer away. I have learned over years of study on this forum that while doubleguns conjure a stalwart image they also contain some fragility that makes them only entirely suitable for those who can afford to repair or replace them. The 311 Stevens while not as pretty as some maybe more adaptable to hard use by a regular guy than most better guns with two barrels. There is indeed a reason, other than rarity, that SXSs are more a well-heeled mans gun. I being wounded in comparison have come to this reality, but maintain my affection for two barrel guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, my buddy uses a 311 M/F and for the gunning hereabouts, usually 30-35 yards over tollers, it is tight. I don't know how steel works but probably tighter. Some day I'll get the nerve to quietly open cylinder/cylinder in one of my less-elegant shooters and maybe become a legend, the comeback kid of the century after 65-plus years of scratchy shooting! A legend of this board did that and has trophies to prove it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.