May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stanton Hillis, earlyriser, Wild Skies, Dan R, L. Brown, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#80319 01/30/08 06:52 PM
kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK. I have located a nice Purdey pigeon gun (no ejectors). The gun is original and in very nice condition. I want to purchase this pigeon gun but EVERYONE is telling me to purchase a game gun instead. The game gun seems to be be popular because of its weight (or lack of) and its considered to be the the "ultimate" English gun.

So is there any reason not to purchase an original Purdey game gun? FWIW, I am not rich and do not have money to purchase another gun anytime soon. This will be my only gun for a long time. On the positive side, a pigeon gun will let me shoot a lot of clays and bird hunt. The game gun would be punishing shooting a lot of clays.

Ken

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Resale
smaller market,but if you like it and it fits and you will enjoy using it then pull the trigger.
The only thing I would want to be sure of with that gun,after the inspection that you had of course, is to be sure that over 100 year wood will take all that pounding.You don't want to have to restock it thats for sure.
Hope you do buy it Ken. I have been following your search and hoping you will find one.
Dave K

Last edited by Dave K; 01/30/08 07:13 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gameguns were made to shoot, and shoot alot.
Think of the large brace counts on the moors of old!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot my Purdey hammer pigeon gun one heck of a lot more than I do my light game gun. The pigeon gun gets use on the sporting course, practice modern skeet field, and some hunting conditions where tight chokes are needed. The light game gun gets a few practice rounds of modern skeet before the annual trip to "down" Maine, and [if i'm lucky] 5 or 6 shots at a few pa'trige; no, I mean grouse [they do fly]. I also use the game gun for a few "put and take" "hunts", where the tight chokes of the pigeon gun would result in nothing but mincemeat. I really like my pigeon guns, and have too many, but don't care!
If you decide against the pigeon gun, there is a very good 70's vintage Purdey light game gun comming up at Julia's in March, fresh from an estate, it only needs a hinge pin.

All the best, Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pigeon guns are the rage, but so were the 2"ers and the XXVers.
Things come and go, but!
The lite 12b gamegun holds steady, and remains the highest form of gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You will probably shoot the pigeon gun better, especially if you are a larger fellow. I have never had one so I am envious. I have some Spanish game guns in 12, 20 and 28. I can shoot the 28 fine at doves etc but when jogging after blue quail it is too light for me to handle and I do not shoot it near as well as a 12. My point is that I think that most people shoot a heavier gun better. I know that I do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, if you have the opportunity to acquire a Purdey pigeon in good shape at an affordable price, then I would urge you to do it. As British guns go, they are heavier than a 2 1/2 game gun, but are fairly close to most American SxS's of the period. They feel solid in the hand as opposed to heavy and offer a broad range of versatility if huns, pheasant and wildfowl are in your hunting plans. As noted in a previous post, spreaders work pretty well on tight chokes for closer clays targets. Your Purdey will never be a grouse gun and is a bit heavy for quail, but for almost everything else what a wonderful and durable thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,

If given a choice of equal condition Purdey guns - one game and one pigeon - I'd take the pigeon gun. If you intend to shoot the gun frequently, I think the pigeon gun will hold up better. It was built stouter to begin with and can better handle the pounding in the long term. You will also likely shoot it better and your shoulder will be happier.

Good luck,
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd take the Pigeon gun also...I think they are the highest form.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is your life and your gun, buy what you want not what others say you ought to buy. Never buy a gun based on its resale value unless you are not going to keep the gun, and then my question to you is why buy the gun in the first place? Buy the gun to shoot and then enjoy it. You are not a collector and have no pretenses of buying a nice gun to just say the you have a nice gun. If you want a pigeon gun or a BB gun just buy it and enjoy it.

There have to be far more game guns than pigeon gun so I would think that you will always be able to sell the slightly rarer gun for top dollar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.