May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Canvasback13, CJF, steve f, 1 invisible), 931 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,942
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just wondering if anyone makes a light and flexible glove with Kevlar or some other very strong fiber that would offer protection to the left hand in case of a barrel rupture. When I was surveying the firearms in our local historical society's collection several years ago, I had the opportunity to examine several muzzleloading doubles that had let go in the left barrel. As I recall, the failures tended to be in the first third of the barrel, suggesting that a charge might have moved forward under recoil from the right barrel and acted as a barrel obstruction in the left. The damage appeared as a large, open tear, sometimes with some metal missing and with damage to the forend. (None of the cartridge doubles with twist barrels in the collection had suffered any barrel bursts.) A high-tech glove on the left hand would offer some protection under such circumstances, but not complete, and of course no protection to an rearward blast of gasses of metal toward the head. Obviously, one shouldn't fire dangerous shotguns, but one never can be sure with 19th century metallurgy.

Last edited by Bill/Oregon; 08/18/07 12:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

While Kevlar is highly resitant to penetration, I fear the glove would only contain the remnants of an explosion rather than prevent the injury.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The amount of Kevlar needed would I believe, make the glove very difficult to use.

I use Gripswell sxs gloves. But I have no illusions that they will protect in the event of a barrel rupture.
http://www.gripswell.com/SxS.htm

Pete

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find the Argentine gloves made for polo to be about as comfortable as any for shooting. They are quite supple leather, but stand hard use well. While I can appreciate your concern for protection, and without meaning this in any terse sense, it is best to shoot a gun that is sound and on face with reasonable loads and not worry about grenade proof gloves. I doubt that I could shoot at all if I had something like that floating around in my mind when pulling the trigger.

Although rare, we do read or hear of ruptures, but seldom with exact information as to cause, but it most likely is the result of something well outside the parameters I described above. Want more killing power [?] use bigger sized shot. Keep the velocity to 1220 fps. Learn the leads necessary to hit those longer targets, if that is the kind of shooting you are doing. Pattern the gun to determine its effective range with a given load & choke, then you can fully appreciate the luck involved for a truely long range shot.

To your original question, there are Kelvar gloves made for fish cleaning that are quite flexible. They are sold to keep one from getting cut. You could also look at what the bomb squad guys wear. I have no familiarity with their pref'd gear, but would think it would require allowing some dexterity to be of any value.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If had any concern that a barrel might rupture I would not shoot it. If Kevlar gloves are used for this purpose, a Kevlar facemask might be in order as well.

It begs the question though... How do you guys decide if an older gun is safe to shoot and do you fire it remotely first? I was thinking of putting one of my old hammer guns in a vise and pulling the triggers with a string a few times and then checking for bulges or other signs of deformation.

Any suggestions?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are going to put a double in to a vise, then it must a poor quality one. If it was made by a reputable maker, then after disassembly, checking the locking mechanism to the barrels and replacing any broken parts, I would gather some chamber and barrel dimensions and make a call. Last, use the correct shell length and appropiate charge. Whether you subscribe to Sherman Bells' school of thought or not, you should read "Find Out for Myself - Part XXII" Spring 2007. Although, shaving the barrel to around a couple of thousandths and using proof loads is a little much in my opinion. But obstructions are generally the culprit.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.