April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, FelixD, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 462 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

That same sob ran across my yard. I didn't know they were that quick:)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went out to see if it was a good show. I am a photographer and love to do night shots. Did not see a single meteor, but did get a nice view of the space station going over with the shuttle docked to it. It was definitely brighter than on a typical night.

A few months ago (don't remember when, but there was still snow on the ground, so that rules out the month of August here in northern MN) we got to see the space station fly overhead and rotate its solar panels. They called it an "irredium flare." It got exceptionally bright for about 5 seconds due to the light being delfected at us as the panels rotated. Pretty cool!

For anyone interested in astronomy stuff, here is a cool site I check every day. Always nice pics and some cool information,

daily astronomy picture link

skunk out
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw two. During two different 20 minute periods starting at 12:00 and 1:20. I was laid out in the backyard in a "shady" corner surrounded by fence. Both streaks were directly overhead heading west.

I haven't posted 'cause I know the urge to call BS will be astronomical , but it's the truf. My wife saw the second one too...if that helps.

Two seen in Whitestone, NYC; where the sky is always kinda orange tinted and on clear moonless night the naked eye can see bright planets and about 3 dozen stars. Actually many more but it takes a while.

Last edited by Yeti; 08/16/07 08:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Around 1966 I was in Wurtsboro, NY spending a week with my cousin and college roommate at the Uncle's house. My uncle was in England and we were taking advantage of the offer to use the house. It is located near the top of a small mountain near Yankee Lake - at least that is what the locals called it (Schultz's bar was on the lake. Great memories at the bar. You guys remember, you buy two drafts, or was it three, and then there was one on the house.)

Anyway, my cousin was and still is an astronomy nut and he convinced us to go on to the roof (Yea, that took about two seconds of convincing) to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. I remember it to this day. It was some show the likes of which I have never seen again. You could see the tail of sparkly behind the meteors which came at least one per minute. We heard a few also. I swear one of them must have hit the ground but we were not sure. I did not have enough sense to realize we could have been hit by one because there were so many and so close. It turns out my cousin is afraid of heights and when we said we had enough it took over an hour to get him down.

So Yeti, every year is different!

Best,
Milt

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was in the Paradise valley in Montana on a fly fishing trip (Yellowstone river). Sunday night was clear. The shower was at its apex. My 12 ayear old son and I lay on our backs for a couple of hours from about 10 till after 12 and watched and talked just a little. One of the best nights of my life. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

In rural PA we stayed out all night on Sunday. What a show! We saw about 60 big fireballs all night. Best Perseid shower ever for us.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.