June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (barrel browner, Tom Shaffer, FelixD, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 213 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,466
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It has no engraving at all. Browning butt plate. Serial #1724 (I think). The tubes are 28" IC/M. Is this a first or second year Superposed? Thanks.

Edit: I guess I'm also asking if the condition looks a little suspicious for its age? It seems to retain way too much blue and I have not seen this wood finish before. If it is original, it wasn't used much.

Last edited by RyanF; 04/30/24 07:52 PM.
1 member likes this: eightbore
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If it is a 12 gauge, which I assume it is, I don't believe the serial number dates are available from 1931-1939 up until #17,000 according to Browning. But the blue book says 1931- the first year. If it is a 20 gauge then it should be 1950 according to Browning and the Blue Book.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 04/30/24 08:08 PM.
RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, it's a 12

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is each trigger unique to a specific barrel or can you pull each trigger twice? Double triggers (which I prefer) or twin single?
Does the finish degradation anywhere on the gun match the wood? Butt plate have holes? Triggers have wear? Breech face show use?
Top lever sit right of center? Does it fall open? How does it shoot?
Anyhow, it's way old and way cool.

RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bob.

You can pull the front trigger twice. I don't know if I ever tried to pull the rear trigger twice. The triggers are still blue. Nothing really shows any wear. Even the barrels, where you slide the forend up, have only minor wear. The wood doesn't have any dents or scratches, it is just a sort of matted finish I have not seen. The butt plate is perfect, it has two circles with text, one says Browning and the other says superposed. Top lever is right of center and it doesn't quite fall open like my other well used superposed.

It functions and shoots normal. After a 100 sporting clays you might want a recoil pad. I took to wearing a vest with a built-in pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Front trigger will fire the lower barrel first and then the top.
Rear trigger will fire the top barrel first then the bottom.
If there is no significant degradation on any particular facet of your gun, perhaps it is just a lightly used survivor.

I’d like to see a bunch more images, up one side and down the other.
Good natural light. Maybe a green background.

Please, please, please, no recoil pad. How about a slip on / Velcro pad so you can retain the shape of the butt and that cool vintage butt plate.
Winner in my book.
Just my .02

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

What you have here is the best of John Browning's design......it is a treasure.

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

From my read of Schwing, serial numbers are not in chronological order in pre-WW-II Superposeds. Looks like a Standard Grade 1 --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Strange that double triggers are not listed as an option. Also "not available without rib". Both options were available at some time, but I don't know when.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Strange that double triggers are not listed as an option. Also "not available without rib". Both options were available at some time, but I don't know when.
I can't tell when the ad was published.

It states in the description that the standard includes the twin single trigger is standard. That seems to be what your gun is equipped with. From the ad pictures and description I would say your gun is a standard model consistent with the time of the ad.

It may be that the twin single standard was changed to a straight double trigger at some point. I own several double trigger O/U's because I find them unique and match most of my doubles. I recently bid on a 1950ish that looked a lot like this because it had double triggers. It was advertised as such, but for all I know (and likely the dealer) it could have been the twin singles. A lot of people could own such a gun and maybe never know it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.