April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gunning Bird, cpa, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 383 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,477
Posts545,195
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Yesterday at 09:34 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I agree that a guy oughta use shells appropriate for the gauge. Years ago, I tried 1&7/8 oz TSS turkey loads in my 5 lb 6 oz 20 gauge. The recoil was substantial, but it didn't pattern that great either. I went back to the more gauge appropriate 1&5/8 oz load and have stuck with that one since.

It's good to use the shells that a gun is designed to use.

smile

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you like 3/4 or 7/8 ounce shot then go shoot it and enjoy it. It is all about enjoyment. We are not feeding our families doing this. Shotgun shooter get just a squirrel(ly) as a rifle shooter who stress about that extra 50 fps or worries about the group size being 1.25" in stead of under 1" at 100 yards. I love it when they say that .25" difference, in group size, would be too great at 300 or 400 yards. Heck, most of those guys will never shoot anything at 300 or 400 yards and in the field there are no benches to shoot off. It is all in their heads. Load what you want and shoot it. If you miss I'll tell you you were just behind it anyways.;)

2 members like this: Hammergun, David Williamson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sad to say Coosa, is that most S X S shooters don't even know if the loads they're shooting regulate in their S X S gun. I've found that lots of vintage S X Ss prefer a certain payload at a certain velocity, and loads a lot faster, lighter, etc. will NOT regulate, but will crossfire badly, or vice versa. I'm certain I have several that would not even come close to being regulated with 3/4 oz. loads, at any reasonable velocity.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Sad to say Coosa, is that most S X S shooters don't even know if the loads they're shooting regulate in their S X S gun. I've found that lots of vintage S X Ss prefer a certain payload at a certain velocity, and loads a lot faster, lighter, etc. will NOT regulate, but will crossfire badly, or vice versa. I'm certain I have several that would not even come close to being regulated with 3/4 oz. loads, at any reasonable velocity.

I've not had that problem with the vintage guns that I have patterned, which surprises me to some degree. The only double that I have had that would not regulate was a Darne. It would not regulate with anything from 7/8 to 1.5 oz., and all of those were equally awful across a range of velocities below 1300 fps.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I discussed patterning at my club not long ago. The other shooters were all SERIOUS shooters of skeet, trap and sporting clays. None had ever patterned their guns. I pattern all of mine with the loads I intend to use. I have found a few that were off a bit and one that was off a lot. I've not had a problem with light loads but you never know. I'm not too serious since I'll shoot a tightly choked gun at skeet because I just feel like shooting that gun that day. I'm very surprised that these serious shooters who own expensive target guns with expensive chokes screwed in the barrels never test their patterns.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I generally don’t pattern any gun unless I’m not breaking targets. If it breaks targets, it’s good to go.

2 members like this: Jimmy W, Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is how bad it can be. Several years ago I determined to make a 20 ga. Philly Fox Sterlingworth Ejector my go-to quail and woodcock gun. I had heretofore universally used 7/8 oz. loads in my 20s, so I was determined to do so in the SWE. They cross-fired to the tune of 8" at 25 yards, each. I sent it to Dean Harris to have him work his magic. He called to tell me that it regulated perfectly with 1 oz. loads at about 1150-1165 fps. I was, and am still, amazed that nothing more was needed to get the gun to regulate both barrels. Years later, it still is spot on with those loads, and no others that I have been able to determine. From 8" to dead-on, at 25 yards, is a lot of moving for nothing to have been done but adjust the load.

What percent of shotgunners know that about each of their guns ......... 1 percent? I doubt it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: 12boreman, David Williamson, Hammergun
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know exactly what my Holland was regulated for, it says so on the charge card in the case, 1&1/16th oz of British #6 shot.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my younger years I would buy a sxs and just go out and shoot birds. I usually did great even with a gun that didn't fit me very well. It wasn't until 25 years later after I became a member of a local gun club that I started testing my reloads in my guns. With some guns I couldn't figure out why I was missing certain birds on skeet. Well...now I know. Like Stan said, certain guns like certain loads. Sometimes you are changing the payload and sometimes you are altering the powder charge, type of powder, etc. How do you find all of this out? Go to the pattern board and also use a chronograph! I owned well over 200 sxs guns and over the years I have only kicked 2 or 3 to the curb. Testing is crucial to get the most out of your gun. On the down side, you might just find out like I did that some of your favorite loads you have been using for 20 years do not perform the way you thought they did! Experimentation is part of the fun in my book.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't pattern shotguns.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 03/30/24 04:28 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.