April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (CJF, Roundsworth, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 440 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,210
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb
and for the most part choke selection isn’t either when shooting at targets.

I can agree with that, as long as the barrels are choked tightly enough to crush any target thrown, regardless the distance. My MX8 is choked .020" and .020". No barrel selector needed, no fiddling with choke tubes, no wondering whether I have enough pattern density to break a target. Just load, focus, and kill it.

But, initially, I was talking about hunting conditions, and I think Robertson was, too. IMO, different chokes can be very important in many hunting scenarios, Michael McIntosh's statement notwithstanding.

One more point, the amount of muzzle flip has to do with a lot of things besides the shooter's ability to detect it, including the load and how the gun is stocked. You have to compare apples with apples.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Boxlock
Boxlock

It is a great same that you can not pop into the Sun and Thirteen Cantons and join Henderson, Bannister and Jack Wilkes having their after work "swift half" and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth!

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Easier loading of the top barrel is as good a reason as any, but it’s all just marketing at the end of the day.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don’t own a Boss O/U.

That said, I do own two Beretta single trigger O/U guns, and did own a poorly regulated Ruger Red Label, that had a selectable single trigger that I thought cost me some birds, until I patterned the damn thing, and figured out I didn’t stand a chance of getting the bird in any event. But, I hated that barrel selector in the safety that had to be swung left or right, and then slid forward. I sold the Red Label to the gunsmith who had the trailer next to Metro Gun Club, and swore he could get the thing to print where it belonged, but, I never found out if he did, and recently heard Paul had died, so, that will remain a mystery. The Silver Snipe trigger is non selective, and that ends that-you get what you get, which, surprisingly, is perfectly OK the great majority of the time. Bottom barrel first, top barrel next, mod and improved mod chokes, not a huge difference in pattern density out at 30 yards or so, anyway.

The BL-3 has the typical older Beretta selector that slides sideways built into the safety. At this point, I’m ambivalent about it, I imagine some shots I’ll remember it and take advantage, but, most of the time I’ll leave it on the more open bottom barrel and hope for the best.

The BL-3 is an attempt to find an off-the-rack double gun that handles like a repeater, I have found I shoot the repeaters better than my SXS guns, even though I don’t like that fact too much.

Not sure how I feel about a double trigger on an O/U. I usually grab them when it is cold out, and I need gloves. There aren’t lots of double trigger O/Us out there.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Parabola
eeb #641910 02/06/24 06:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb
Easier loading of the top barrel is as good a reason as any, but it’s all just marketing at the end of the day.

Marketing, and what you can make work. None of us are the same.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: eeb, Stanton Hillis
eeb #641992 02/07/24 12:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb
This...Geo

eeb #642032 02/07/24 09:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb

The perceived more difficult loading of the bottom barrel is no more than the additional agility needed for loading the left barrel of a S x S by a right handed man, IMO. After having put over 9K rounds through a Beretta 687 SPII in Argentina, over the course of 8 days, I can honestly say that I can remember no real additional difficulty in loading the bottom barrel over the top.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess its just a matter of personal preference. I like shooting the top barrel first. Most of my shooting is done on wild birds over my dogs.I have ejectors but don't use them as I don't like littering my hunting area with empty's.
I like to reload without looking at my breech and keeping an eye on my dogs and where the bird may have dropped or disappeared to.
The top barrel just seems to work best for me.
When I shoot dove many times I shoot the bottom barrel first just to even out the wear. Then again when I shoot dove I use the ejectors and eject most spent rounds into a 5 gallon bucket. Im not roaming around so those that miss the bucket get picked up when Im done shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I guess its just a matter of personal preference. I like shooting the top barrel first. Most of my shooting is done on wild birds over my dogs.I have ejectors but don't use them as I don't like littering my hunting area with empty's.
I like to reload without looking at my breech and keeping an eye on my dogs and where the bird may have dropped or disappeared to.
The top barrel just seems to work best for me.
When I shoot dove many times I shoot the bottom barrel first just to even out the wear. Then again when I shoot dove I use the ejectors and eject most spent rounds into a 5 gallon bucket. Im not roaming around so those that miss the bucket get picked up when Im done shooting.

If you can't, or won't, teach yourself to trap the ejected empties in your hand, to deposit wherever you please, you shouldn't even enter a discussion about the value of ejectors. JMO, YMV. Anyway, what do you mean by "I have ejectors but don't use them"? Do you disable them? If you trap the empties in your hand, as I do, then you ARE using them. If not ..........?

Sidelock
Sidelock

QUOTE If you can't, or won't, teach yourself to trap the ejected empties in your hand, to deposit wherever you please, you shouldn't even enter a discussion about the value of ejectors.

Stan I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Not sure why this set you off.

Stan I am well versed on how to use ejectors. I have been shooting wild quail here in AZ for over 55 years and a lot of time over my dogs.
Anyway I thought this conversation was about which barrel top or bottom to shoot first.
My go to gun most of the time is my A10 20 gauge.
It has ejectors. I pop it open without kicking the top ejector. Then remove my shell ( top barrel) and slip another in. I handle it just like I do when I shoot an extractor gun. When I do fire the bottom barrel I crack the breech open all the way which is the only way to get clearance for the bottom empty and the ejectors kick right into my hand. I have gone all day and never fired the bottom barrel.
Sorry this is the way I do it, it works for me. This is my reason for shooting the top barrel first.
My error in not stating “most” of the time I don't use them.
ps what does YMV mean?

2 members like this: Parabola, greener4me
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.