April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 406 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

i just like experimenting with these sorts of things.......the actual use is mostly for opportunistic hunting and plinking and playing. the 20/30-30 has reasonable barrel alignment as does the 20/357. for those two i subsequently located and fitted each with an extra set of 410 over/under barrels. each of those two has a soft case that holds the whole rig, which can be thrown in the vehicle for camping trips etc potentially these are pretty versatile rigs that could cover a lot of situations.

the baikal OU guns are well made and the rifle barrels are quite accurate. i have them in 12/223, 12x 6.5x55, 12 x 7.62x39, and 12 x 30-06. i also had one in 12/308 and it worked very well but the others covered all my [imaginary] needs anyway. they also make it in 12/9.3x74R but i have never seen one. all of these come with screw in choke tubes.

Baikal makes a nifty little 22/410 also with adjustable barrel and dovetail scope mounts.it was imported by remington for a while it weighs around 5 lbs at most and is really deadly on small game.

in reality i probably dont actually need any of these....but thats true of a lot or even most of my stuff !

Last edited by cable; 01/29/24 09:06 PM.

cable
Sidelock
Sidelock

One week a year here in ky there is a time when quail, rabbit, squirrel, dove, woodcock( or snipe) and deer are all in season. That is a fun time to go on a nice walk about with the drilling. Usually it’s some dove with a rabbit or squirrel and a doe that turns around at 100 yds to see what jumped her. This is a fun time with a combination gun ( until you have to deal with the deer solo). It’s a different kind of hunting much more solitary, dogs just get in the way and can be illegal if you shoot a jumped deer. I don’t think I would spend the money on a Combo gun for this one week every year or so but mine was a gift. It’s worth borrowing one and experiencing it once or twice. In my case it’s more about the gun itself and remembering the grandfather that gave it to me. It’s just more of a walk about than a hunt. Ted is correct; bird dogs and a light fast 16ga sxs is a bird hunt. A fine 270 with a 4x12 leupold is a deer or elk hunt. It’s quite different and a solitary thing with a drilling or combination gun.

1 member likes this: Dave in Maine
Sidelock
Sidelock

this is the neatest of the savage 24s:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

20 /22 with 20" barrels and folding stock. the story is that these were OSS issue in WWII and later in the 1950s . if the cold war had gone hot, these might turned the tide in our favor !

actually....i made that all up. the folding stock really is from WW2 and made for savage side by side or combo guns. Sarco had these for sale for years , hermetically sealed in the foil lined pouch, for $4.95

i bought one and used on this savage 24C. the C stands for Camper....not Clandestine...though it could mean both ! HA!

Last edited by cable; 01/29/24 11:01 PM.

cable
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did your dog chew on the fore end? Maybe you should let him work on the butt stock to even them out.

I’m sure that gun is perfectly suited for some use, but I haven’t found a need for it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

how did you ever guess about the dog ???!!!

the finish on the folding stock is the original WW2 'crinkle' finish that was used on lots of things, including radio sets, morse code keys, etc.. i scraped ad shaped the forend to be a rough match and used a rubberized messy spray-on to try and match this.

i cant think of much this gun is good for except as a compact camping tool. my son [ who is now 34 and is a software engineer ] has this 24C and loves it just for its funkiness i think

Last edited by cable; 01/29/24 11:03 PM.

cable
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad someone likes it.

Try not to scratch it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somehow, I was able to restrain myself from bidding on this interesting little German side-lever opening S x S Hammer Cape Gun chambered in .22 rimfire and 9 m/m shot cartridge. It sold a couple weeks ago for $470.00

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don't know what 9 m/m shot cartridge it takes, but assume it is the 9 m/m rimfire version, or something even more obscure. Fiocchi lead # 7 1/2 factory rimfire loads show a velocity of 600 ft./sec. Highly questionable if it fits the definition of a practical combination gun. Once I talked myself out of bidding on it, I entertained the thought of providing a link to the auction here. Then someone could have tried to make up some 3/16 oz. TSS handloads, and used it to kill a turkey.

That would have made for some lively discussion.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

About 50 years ago I had a Marble GameGetter in .22/.410 with a folding nickel plated stock.

I found that the stock was not strong enough to stand up to the recoil of .410 cartridges and bent where it wasn’t meant to fold.

Perhaps it was only meant to steady the aim as a .22 rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting double there Keith. I own a side by side mini cape gun that is .410 shotgun and .300 Rook Rifle by Rosson of Derby; a hammer top lever with express type sights. As for Drillings I also have a double 16 bore and the lower barrel has been converted to .22 rim-fire by Griefelt of Germany with detachable claw mount telescopic sight. The side safety moved forwards allows for the two shotgun barrels to be fired and moving forward the top safety converts the front trigger to fire the rifle and also pushes up a sight along the rib if used without the scope sight. Damned ingenious in a way. Lagopus.....

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted is right, of course. A fine bird gun and then a good deer rifle is the far-better (more practical) option here. It's certainly not a "need" thing for me, but... a firearm that could do both (and very well) would indeed be "damned ingenious" as Logopus puts it, and the rare occasion where it would be useful would be no-less fun.

Just knowing that Dave-in Maine's drilling even exists makes me interested in trying something like that out. Yet another variation on the theme, which is being out and about in good country with a fine gun in hand.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/30/24 02:34 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.