April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, battle, AaronN, smlekid, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44), 456 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Michael McIntosh, in his book on AH Fox, describes the Super Fox as having .740 bores in 12GA, with a .048 inch constriction at the muzzle. The forcing cone was 3/4" long with an oblique taper. The choke cone was 4-1/2 inches long, with a straight, untapered section of bore the last inch at the muzzles. They were mostly chambered 2-3/4 inch, but could be chambered 3 inch. The 20 gauge Super fox's choke cone was 3-1/2 inches and standard constriction was .033". McIitosh didn't mention the 20 gauge bore, so maybe it was .615. These guns were made for the then-new Olin Super-X cartridge, in 12 gauge a 1-3/8 ounce charge of copper plated #4 shot. If one were to attempt to select or build a gun to put a lot of shot into a small group, using plastic wads and nickel plated shot for turkey, what would the gun's bore look like? Some Super Foxes were capable of putting 90% of the shot into a 30" circle at 40 yards. What configuration of bore/choke is out there now, and what are you folks' thoughts about how you would configure such a gun today? What would chambers, forcing cones and chokes look like today? Whose screw chokes work best? Which ammunition would you use? Which guns would best suit this goal?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester Longbeard XR

In factory loaded lead ammunition this is what I would use. I shoot TSS in a modern 20 gauge and haven't tried it but from everything I read this is the cat's meow in lead.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Number 5 shot is a bit thin in the pattern for head shots on a turkey, even with an 85% pattern. This would be a good load for a flying turkey. Super Foxes have a variety of bores and chokes, but most are very effective with lead shot. The best long range patterns I have shot were with a .729 Sterlingworth and .044 chokes. I have never patterned my Super Foxes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree, they make it in #6 too, and in 3 and I think 3.5 inch. What makes it special is that the shot are embedded in a resin which fractures to a powder at ignition, essentially an improved buffer. If I shot lead in a modern or stout older gun it’s what I would use for turkeys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These guns were made for the then-new Olin Super-X cartridge, in 12 gauge a 1-3/8 ounce charge of copper plated #4 shot.

No. The early Super-X loads were only with "special chilled shot." The Super-X loads in 12- and 20-gauge put up in Western's 2 3/4-inch FIELD shell were introduced in 1922. In late 1922 they added the 16-gauge Super-X load put up in the 2 9/16-inch FIELD shell. By 1924 they added the .410-bore Super-X load and the 12-gauge 3-inch Super-X load put up in Western's high brass RECORD shell.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Lubaloy shot Super-X loads, put up in the high brass RECORD shell were introduced in the February 1, 1929 price list.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

This may sound like heresy, but turkey hunting as practiced here is rough shooting, blind or not, and as such means the gun will likely get some bonks, so for new, look at a Huglu with shorter bbl.'s and Full Choke screw-ins if you want a new double, and use any premium load of 36 grams of #6 shot. The main thing about successful turkey hunting is to get the bird within range, much more so than what it is being shot with. Lead number 6's will get the job done when the bird is within range. They are not migratory, so lead remains legal, and you don't need any more magic than that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that in those days they were able to turn out .410 loads that much cheaper than 12 bore cartridges.

1 member likes this: playing hooky
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree about .410 shell pricing, then vs now. There is probably a principle of economics which explains the "progress" which has been made, or could it be just good old-fashioned greed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was a boy, chasing squirrels and rabbits with a J C Higgins .410 S x S, Remington or Winchester .410s cost $3.00/box. My dad owned a big country store and sold them. I paid him $ .12/ea for them and sold squirrels uncleaned for $ .25/ea. Only way I could profit was to not use over one round per squirrel. That's how I remember the pricing so well. When I was allowed to use a .22 RF I thought I was going to get filthy rich market hunting, because of the lowered "input costs". laugh

I don't recall what 12 ga. shells cost then. Wish I did.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding Winchester LongBeard. There have been a few cases where the resin that incapsulates the lead shot has essentially gotten too hard and thus you are sending basically a hot slug through the end of that barrel. I've heard cases where they have blown barrels up. If I was shooting a lead shell at turkeys I'd be looing at RST Pigeon loads, size 6 and only take head shots within 35 yards.

foxes rule
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.