April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, Momslefever), 440 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Carry guns were one of John's interests, so I am betting he had one. The only thing that I can think of that would start an "altercation" would be a threat to his dogs?

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought John had Chesapeake Bay retrievers, not common in my part of the world, but, the few I have met were very protective. Was he walking his dog, was it a Chessie, what happened? Did the dog get hurt?

The average near 80 years of age victim on a stroll in the park is not worth going to jail over, they are just old people out for a walk. They aren’t wearing Air Jordens or gold chains.

No sense.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: mc, craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Every bad situation that people find themselves in, involving bears or human aggressors, doesn't require a round to be popped off in 3 seconds or less. There certainly ARE those situations, and we hope and pray we're not caught in one of them. But, there are countless accurate accounts of armed citizens defending themselves successfully with a handgun or long arm in which the defender was never trained in close quarter combat, and in which they retrieved their needed piece off of a nightstand or console of a vehicle. Read the hundreds of accounts in The Armed Citizen section of The American Rifleman. The arm does not HAVE to be on your person (it's sure nice if it is), but it does have to be close enough.

We can debate the merits of this or that arm, this or that means of concealment or carry, and how to train one's self for "seeing the elephant". But, when it comes down to it, your odds of walking away are higher if you are very close to a firearm, that you're familiar with, all the time. I carry, but it's not always strapped to my side. More often it is by my side in my pickup with my short barreled 12 ga. pump within arm's reach. I am an active deacon in my church, and I take seriously the protection of the members of the congregation who come to worship. If weather makes it hard for me to carry on my hip because of lightweight clothing I have a leather bible carrier that my .45 fits into rather nicely. When I'm seated and the services have begun the carrier is unzipped and in my lap or right by my side.

As for me, I abide by Col. Cooper's teachings. A .45 ACP is the pistol to carry, and it's purpose is to fight your way to the closest shotgun. I'll never in my life be as good with any handgun as I am with a shotgun. And, as craigd said, stay out of harm's way as best you can.

I got me a truck gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Bro. Stan - "I have a leather bible carrier"
Mine is black cordura which I've padded...and no one but the pastor and church security know what's in it. The 20-somethings smile at the "old guy carrying his Bible" wink
FYI most churches today have a formal security team, or rely on retired LEO (we have a bunch in our church), and uniformed off-duty police.
https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...curity-armed-members-lifeway-survey.html

BTW: I've been googling under John's name for a news report of the incident, or any follow-up, without success. Does anyone know how he's doing?

I also have a leather Bible cover that I use when I am not carrying on my person. Either way, I always have something to use. I am also a deacon and a retired Army officer and a member of the armed protection team at our church. We all wear a particular, non-descript identifier when we are armed to let the others as well as the local first responders know that we are legally armed and in possession of a firearm. I hope none of us ever have to use a firearm, but, I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, eeb
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoping he has a quick recovery with no ill after effects.

This is one of the reasons why I cancel carry, even here in North Dakota.

He'll be in our prayers

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by gjw

He'll be in our prayers

He passed. Its part of this thread.

foxes rule
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tut
Originally Posted by gjw

He'll be in our prayers

He passed. Its part of this thread.

Oh boy! I didn't read the entire post. My most humble apologies for my blunder.

He will be in our prayers and thoughts.

God rest his soul

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.