April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The conversation is straying into bears. I've had a lot of conversation with son who spends time in Alaska. I finally got him to carry his 870. But the problem is, you tend to leave the long gun in the truck. I got reamed by an old Sergeant in VN in Thanksgiving 1966 for leaving my M-16 leaning against a tree 20 yards away while I took a dump.

A pistol is always on you - But no pistol will stop a Grizzly or Brown bear, or Polar bear unless lucky. The big caliber revolvers are so cumbersome and so recoil heavy that they won't help much even if you can get off one shot and their stopping power is really marginal no matter what the press says. I convinced son to carry a Glock 19 9mm with deep penetrating rounds. If he can get it out of the holster, at least he could fire 15 shots in 3 seconds with minimal recoil at 1 foot range and something might hit a vital.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/15/23 12:17 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's why Marlin makes the Guide Gun 45-70 with an 18" barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Every bad situation that people find themselves in, involving bears or human aggressors, doesn't require a round to be popped off in 3 seconds or less. There certainly ARE those situations, and we hope and pray we're not caught in one of them. But, there are countless accurate accounts of armed citizens defending themselves successfully with a handgun or long arm in which the defender was never trained in close quarter combat, and in which they retrieved their needed piece off of a nightstand or console of a vehicle. Read the hundreds of accounts in The Armed Citizen section of The American Rifleman. The arm does not HAVE to be on your person (it's sure nice if it is), but it does have to be close enough.

We can debate the merits of this or that arm, this or that means of concealment or carry, and how to train one's self for "seeing the elephant". But, when it comes down to it, your odds of walking away are higher if you are very close to a firearm, that you're familiar with, all the time. I carry, but it's not always strapped to my side. More often it is by my side in my pickup with my short barreled 12 ga. pump within arm's reach. I am an active deacon in my church, and I take seriously the protection of the members of the congregation who come to worship. If weather makes it hard for me to carry on my hip because of lightweight clothing I have a leather bible carrier that my .45 fits into rather nicely. When I'm seated and the services have begun the carrier is unzipped and in my lap or right by my side.

As for me, I abide by Col. Cooper's teachings. A .45 ACP is the pistol to carry, and it's purpose is to fight your way to the closest shotgun. I'll never in my life be as good with any handgun as I am with a shotgun. And, as craigd said, stay out of harm's way as best you can.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: John Roberts, Lloyd3, craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
The conversation is straying into bears. I've had a lot of conversation with son who spends time in Alaska. I finally got him to carry his 870. But the problem is, you tend to leave the long gun in the truck. I got reamed by an old Sergeant in VN in Thanksgiving 1966 for leaving my M-16 leaning against a tree 20 yards away while I took a dump.

A pistol is always on you - But no pistol will stop a Grizzly or Brown bear, or Polar bear unless lucky. The big caliber revolvers are so cumbersome and so recoil heavy that they won't help much even if you can get off one shot and their stopping power is really marginal no matter what the press says. I convinced son to carry a Glock 19 9mm with deep penetrating rounds. If he can get it out of the holster, at least he could fire 15 shots in 3 seconds with minimal recoil at 1 foot range and something might hit a vital.
All likely, and even pistols are taken off and stray away from someone on breaks and other chores, when out in the woods. There are though, many official fish and game department reports of defensively killing large bear with pistols and revolvers. It's easy to search, Greenland issues Glock 10mm to specialized frozen country patrols, specifically for polar bear defense. Practice, practice, practice, and hope for the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bro. Stan - "I have a leather bible carrier"
Mine is black cordura which I've padded...and no one but the pastor and church security know what's in it. The 20-somethings smile at the "old guy carrying his Bible" wink
FYI most churches today have a formal security team, or rely on retired LEO (we have a bunch in our church), and uniformed off-duty police.
https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...curity-armed-members-lifeway-survey.html

BTW: I've been googling under John's name for a news report of the incident, or any follow-up, without success. Does anyone know how he's doing?

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I received a note from John's wife, Martha Anne that his spirit left this world just before dawn this morning. He is at peace.

We had a nice conversation last evening after she had returned from the hospital.

Thought to let you know.

Last edited by tw; 11/15/23 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
1 member likes this: Hoot4570
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

TW
Thanks for doing this. I wasn't sure that I was going to be able. I really have no words.
RIP, John.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
1 member likes this: craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is tragic news. So sad to hear. If nothing else good comes of this tragic loss maybe it will cause us to be more observant of our surroundings, and more diligent.

RIP, John.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: craigd
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just terrible news. I'm incredibly saddened to read this. Rest in peace.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear this news . . .

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.