Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#633042 07/17/23 07:11 PM
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First please understand that I've never owned or even handled a Sidelever shotgun. So as a lefty I'm surprised that the lever is on the right side. I would think I would prefer to use my left thumb on a right side toplever to open a gun. I think it would be awkward on the left side. But all the Sidelever guns I have seen, presumably for right handed shooters, have the lever on the right. Please explain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Vol423
. But all the Sidelever guns I have seen, presumably for right handed shooters, have the lever on the right. Please explain.

Also true of side lever rifles (eg, Hepburns, Wessons, Frasers, rolling block conversions, etc). Were it on the left, a righty would have to slide across the wrist to push it down far enough.

Actually works quite well that way and many shooters never put their thumb across the wrist anyway.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 07/17/23 07:40 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a right handed shooter, I think it would feel more natural to move my hand from the grip to operate the sidelever on the right side, while controlling the opening of the barrels with my left hand, which remains on the forend.

This would also prevent wear and damage to vintage doubles that do not have adequate joint checks. We have all seen that picture of the Fox shotgun with the cracked frame that the Preacher has posted here about a thousand times to demonstrate that they are prone to breaking. In reality, this isn't happening due to firing the gun. Dewey Vicknair has explained that this frame cracking happens when the barrels are permitted to drop fully open, and the hammers stop abruptly when they strike the inside of the action flat. In short, it's a matter of abuse by a careless shooter that causes Fox frames to crack.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is also a discussion point about placing three position M70 type safeties on the right side of left handed rifles. As a fellow lefty hand shooter, I am not too certain about this idea, being used to the safety on the left side.

I had a Greener FH35 that had the safety on the left side (the usual place) and found it a bit difficult to operate. I may be convinced either way.

YMMV.

Last edited by Chukarman; 07/17/23 08:07 PM.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are left-side side levers. On this site one gentleman opined that the right-side side lever was easier for a shooter. . .the left-side for a loader. Probably it was just the choice of the person who ordered it. I will say my side-lever Reilly is really easy to break and load. I would imagine that you would want that lever pointed away from your face though.

This Reilly was owned by Terry Buffum; SN 17392 (1871):
https://www.amoskeagauction.com/110/132.php
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by Argo44; 07/18/23 10:07 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
2 members like this: Parabola, campero
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene, that gun is gorgeous! Wow.
I recently bought my 4th sidelever. Two have been on the left and two on the right. As a right handed shooter I find it most natural to operate the left-sided levers.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

My W&E has left sidelever and yes, it is the most natural to operate for right handed hunters and shooters.

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boss have recently introduced a side lever over and under which they sell with a pair of interchangeable side levers so that the purchaser’s child or grandchild can decide which suits them best.

Slightly off topic, at a Christie’s auction view many years ago I picked up an English SXS gun that had been built as a true left hander with the top lever rotated clockwise to open the gun. I nearly dislocated my thumb trying to open it the usual way before the penny dropped.

2 members like this: campero, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

2 members like this: Parabola, campero
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not much from Greener
The Gun and Its Development: With Notes on Shooting, 1885 he shared the opinion that the lever on the R was easier for a R handed shooter

Modern Shotguns, 1891 "the lever can be on either side" but did not elaborate

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.