April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by waterman
Not my cup of cocoa, but is that G&H side mount worth more than the rest of the rifle?
Its worth a bunch .. and its for a 1" tube, not 7/8" like so many others.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought this was a joke thread. I think I would feel bad for a deer harvested with that one!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Marks_21
I thought this was a joke thread. I think I would feel bad for a deer harvested with that one!

I don't take all the negative comments too seriously. I like to collect the "radical" stocked guns and post about them in forums for others to admire. I like to display them at shows along side my collected Classic Custom rifles by; Alvin Linden, Leonard Mews, Bob Brownell, PO Ackley, Monty Kennedy, Jerry Fisher, George Hoenig, Fred Wells, and others of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. In most cases, the "fancy" ones like this are of more interest to gun cranks, and start many more conversations, than the more traditional ones. And they are much more rare.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by buckstix
Originally Posted by Marks_21

I don't take all the negative comments too seriously. I like to collect the "radical" stocked guns and post about them in forums for others to admire. I like to display them at shows along side my collected Classic Custom rifles by; Alvin Linden, Leonard Mews, Bob Brownell, PO Ackley, Monty Kennedy, Jerry Fisher, George Hoenig, Fred Wells, and others of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. In most cases, the "fancy" ones like this are of more interest to gun cranks, and start many more conversations, than the more traditional ones. And they are much more rare.

Sounds like an interesting display, where do you show them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, just being honest- I saw the post initially with no replies and actually thought it was all sarcasm. I get it - not all hot rod builds appeal to all people. But, even if you don’t care for the chassis, or the style, or the engine, or the color … sometimes the skill and quality and craftsmanship is still respectful and redeeming. They don’t all have to be Riddler winners, cost a fortune, or have name brand provenance, but there are some faces only a mother could love.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PhysDoc
Sounds like an interesting display, where do you show them?
Hello PhyDoc

I display at Gun Shows here in Wisconsin.

Well, I finally got the rifle today and I couldn't be happier. Not only did I find another wonderful inlay on the bottom of the forend, I also found Nils Hultgren's initials (NH) inside the stock. I also found it listed in the Winslow records that I received from Sue Albritton. Its listed as a Bushmaster "Custom"; Winslow serial number 101 - order number 612.

Sue Albritton and her husband, Sylvester Michael (Al) Albritton, purchased the Winslow Arms Co. in 1978. Al and Sue had worked for the Winslow Arms Company since its inception in 1962 in Osprey, Florida. Al and Sue were instrumental in keeping the Company prosperous after it relocated to Camden, South Carolina in 1976. When Al passed away in 2013, Sue took over managing the company. I met Sue in 2019 and learned that she kept a record of all the Winslow rifle production in a small hand-written notebook. Later that year she mailed me her notebook and allowed me to make copies of all the pages.

updated info

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried the rifle at the range? And tried it on the bench? My question is not facetious. Back in the day when 03A3 rifles were being sold off, somewhere in the $40 range, serious shooters looked as closely as possible at the barrels. No bore scopes back then, but it doesn't take much to slug the barrel. Sometimes the 4-groove barrels had pairs of grooves with different dimensions. I have one with one pair of grooves measuring .3080" and the other pair .3085". Later production barrels had only 2 grooves and some were reported to be more accurate than some of Remington's 4-groove barrels. 50 % less opportunity for error?

The 03A3 action is stronger than all but the last original 1903s. The original bolt was either worked over or replaced. The stamped bottom metal was replaced. The stamped magazine follower was retained. Some of them worked more smoothly than milled replacements. Whether anyone likes the treatment or not, this was not a cheap sporter conversion. Good quality replacement barrels were available for somewhere around $100. Why retain the Remington barrel?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

I will be shooting the rifle today and will update with results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Link worked, very interesting look, congrats

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.