May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (ClapperZapper, DSchrank, R Reynolds, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 866 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,495
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that a crack in photo one near the action? The wood extension appears thicker in photo three than two. Are they the same stock?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think it has been buffed, the engraving looks appropriate for a gun of that age. If you post the ser #, I'll tell you when it was made, I am guessing 1890 to 1900. I will warn you once you have one, you will want another.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think it has been buffed. Maybe it was run through an ultrasonic cleaner, but that is all. I wonder what it's original finish looked like?

Great gun though. I would love to just handle one once, but I've never seen one in real life.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should have mentioned, reach out to JP Daeschler, Dir of Dicksons. He is a great guy and as he explained to me because the # of guns is so small he knows most of them. He saved me from buying a worn out gun and gave me a thumbs up on another.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The action looks brushed to me, not a trace of CC even in protected areas is what I see. Appears to have a very low comb as well. Good looking gun, as Ken says, check wall thickness but that is a great price if it checks out.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

With these types of rare guns it always comes down to barrel condition first. If they are too thin your options are sleeve, shoot very light/low pressure loads or put a set of Brileys in it. Sleeving will change the barrel dynamics’s but make it usable. Social loads will restrict shooting options a bit but that is not a Sporting Clays gun. Briley tubes will make it swing like a fence post. If the barrels are .020 or under, a real chance, I would only buy it if it were sleeved. Just me. I’ve got enough thin walled guns already.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun is very similar to a RA Dickson that I owned for many years. Mine was made and delivered in 1893 and had the same cocking indicators, which disappeared when Dickson modified the design to accommodate overhanging intercepting sears. Mine was originally 29" Damascus barrels, but was rebarreled (by the maker) with 27" chopper lump steel barrels. It was a delight to shoot.

I believe that these Dicksons must have used some type of high nickel-steel alloy for the actions, as most of the ones I see appear to be 'polished' with little or no case colors evident.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
battle Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So not all were care color hardened?

Sidelock
Sidelock

thats a nice gun...

particularly like the scabbed on wood extension to butt stock...a sign of true wood working skill...

instead of a bright red condom, one often sees screwed on to the wood...

Last edited by ed good; 06/30/23 04:41 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.