May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Guy Ave, R Reynolds, ClapperZapper, griz, 2 invisible), 404 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,469
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the look of flat top checkering more than normal pointed checkering. Perhaps because it is different I suspect. I have never tried to cut new flat pattern panel, but have cleaned up and lightly chased old work. Often it does not point up and look great to my eye, so I just keep it flat. But it can not be anymore difficult than checkering some of the Claro or English orchard walnuts, with wide growth rings giving you a hard ridge then butter soft or cotton fluff in between areas. Getting, and keeping them straight and level can be a nightmare. Worse is when you suddenly find an area like that, on a stock you decided to do some silly extra-extra fine checkering like anything over 20LPI.

My worst nightmare was a panel I tried to cut at 28 LPI and hit one of these hard/soft/soft/hard areas. No matter what I did, it kept coming out looking like a drunk pig on ice skates, dancing on ice, in the dark. Tried soaking with extra finish to stiffen the wood, tried cutting the pathway with a veiner, tried cutting it with a scapel, even tried super thin CA glue to try to get the wood hard, then after cutting it removed most of the CA and blended with very thin finish. The CA worked, with all of the above, but there was a slight difference in finish, in that area. In time it blended out with normal darkening from oils an dirt picked up off hand. But I still know it is there. After that I decided that 18-20 LPI is plenty fine enough for me and can only imagine what a job it was when I see anything like a Sauer double I came across with 28 and 32 LPI checkering. Beautiful job, massive panels with countless curves and points, but way above my pay grade.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dblgnfix, since you’re not turning up a lot of options in the NE I’ll mention Bill Graham’s Nice Old Double Gunworks in Durham, NC. Some beautiful checkering coming out of his shop (and Damascus and twist barrel work that is stunning.) He’s a Guild member.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m with Ted. I think flat top is a bit overrated both in aesthetics and functionality. I much prefer slightly “rounding” over pointed checkering on guns that came with flat tops originally. The look is more flattering and the checkering remains somewhat useful. Flat top lines also have to be cut a little deeper to give the good aesthetic effect, simply flatting pointed up diamonds leaves the lines a bit too shallow looking for an “original” look in my opinion.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

First of all thank you Brian and Ted for you kind words.

True flat top checkering is very difficult to do there is NO room for errors. I know of only one individual that does true flat top checkering, his name is Ralf Martini. He made his own checkering tools and his work is superb. I've done a few flat top jobs and were good but not original in execution. I modified a spacer tip and a single line cutter to do the work, true flat top has parrel sides and the bottom of the groove is flat also at least that's what I've seen in original work.

Most of my work is done on Turkish walnut or one of the Stans. Turkish is beautiful but can be problematic in that it can have hard and soft spots in the same piece of wood is a very short surface space. It's like a box of chocolates if you understand my meaning. I also do work on California English walnut, that is a general term as it all doesn't come from California. I like California a lot! The finest wood, IMHO, is sourced from France or an area close. It has a subtle elegance that's not in "in your face" but is not likely to have any surprises. So there you have it, my opinion and mine only

I do charge for my work and why shouldn't I? There are a number of individuals in the USA that are highly skilled and do fine work, there also some that are not so skilled, you get what you pay for.

Doug

Doug Mann
5 members like this: dogon, mc, Ted Schefelbein, KY Jon, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
Dblgnfix, since you’re not turning up a lot of options in the NE I’ll mention Bill Graham’s Nice Old Double Gunworks in Durham, NC. Some beautiful checkering coming out of his shop (and Damascus and twist barrel work that is stunning.) He’s a Guild member.

Plus one on that endorsement...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you fall creek, I'll try to find his contact info. You seem to understand the motive behind my post. I am looking to find a person
to checker the stocks I make or repair, since my checkerer for 20 years is retiring. Thanks

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

While you did say "northeast", you probably didn't include crossing the border to Newfoundland, but Chris Dawe from Newfoundland is top drawer and has done some fine work for several on here including me. He did some beautiful work on a Manufrance Ideal 16 with 28 lpi for me. Gil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.