April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Hoot4570, j7l2, Jtplumb, battle, 80dubya, Gerry Addison), 443 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#623744 12/18/22 01:01 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have finally gotten a Roper Revolving shotgun cartridge. Now, the puzzle is making the gun function. I feel that possibly two issues need to be addressed. No. 1 is that the revolving magazine seems to be missing a spring to rotate it. No. 2 is that the shell loading and extractor mechanism seems to work, but the actual hammer cocking position of that mechanism seems to be not working. Of course I do know that my descriptions are not understandable , except to one who might be familiar with this unusual model. Does anyone know of or posses a Roper that might help me answer some functioning questions ?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Roper's invention came in rifle and shotgun models. This is a rifle model, but essentially the same system.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/18/22 01:06 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! That’s an unusual one. I have no information on what your looking for but it begs my curiosity, how much does that Roper weigh? Cool looking shotgun!

Last edited by nca225; 12/19/22 11:50 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the best video I have seen on your gun and its operation with breakdown of operation. Neat gun.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

KY JON, thanks so much. That is really helpful. I was not aware that the gun unscrewed like that. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

The person who makes those videos does a nice job. Most of the time he has permission to do a basic disassembly. And he rarely states facts which are really just his ill informed opinions. Plus he gets to play with some interesting guns. Hope that gives you enough information to get you started.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, i have bid on roper shotguns at least 8-10 times but never got one. very interesting piece. probably a good thing i never won one, as i likely would never get it working and i hate to have something interesting like that i cant shoot.

cable
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those rope steel shells did a poor job of sealing gasses. Even with the cover closed the gas blowback into your face would not be fun. But as you say if owned I have to try shooting it. Like a 1825 muzzleloader which was converted from flint to percussion I need to shoot it. If I can’t shoot it down the road it goes.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After Christmas I'll take it apart. There is a half cock hammer position, but I don't find a full cock hammer position as the gun goes into the extractor mode when I try. I hope it is something simple. I now think the rotating magazine was powered by a mechanical method and not a spring. Much like a revolver that we often see.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is an interesting description of a 16 gauge Roper that Lock Stock and Barrel Investments had for sale. They speculate on what might be wrong with the gun for sale.

Mechanics: When the hammer is cocked, the bolt withdraws properly, but the cylinder spins freely instead of rotating one position. When the trigger is pulled, nothing happens. The hammer must be pushed down manually to get the bolt to close. The hammer has ¼ and ½ cock notches, but neither was intended as a safety. (When firing the shotgun when at full cock, the movement of the hammer and bolt would sometimes cause the shooter to move slightly – this could be remedied by lowering the hammer slowly manually until the cartridge was fully seated in the chamber and then pulling it back to half cock, and fired from that position). The hammer releases when the trigger is pulled: it just doesn’t move forwards. Also, it looks like the upper tang is cracked half-way across at the stock screw. We have not fired this shotgun.
Box, Paperwork & Accessories: Included with the shotgun are four steel reloadable cases. The steel cases provided a gas tight seal against the chamber. They could hold a paper cartridge and have a primer hand inserted at the back of the case before firing. The cases have been re-finished with a light brown cold bluing and show light pitting under their finish. One still has a fired primer in its primer hole. Three of the cases are in Good condition and one is in Fair condition with a small eroded spot on its front edge.
Our Assessment: The Roper shotgun was the invention of Sylvester H. Roper. He was a brilliant inventor who pioneered in the building of steam driven automobiles and motorcycles (or velocipede as he called them). He also invented a sewing machine and a hot air engine. He was granted a patent for the invention of a threaded shotgun choke and for his revolving rifles and shotguns. This is an early shotgun made when his company was still in Amherst, Mass. Apparently, the shotgun was purchased and engraved by Robert Symon, who was an Englishman who lived in Hermosillo and was a concessionary of the Sonora Mint. He was also one of two partners in a company that received a contract to build the Sonora railroad in about 1879, and then sold out to the Southern Pacific Railroad, who completed it. This shotgun has a four round revolving cylinder. When the hammer is cocked, the bolt withdraws, ejecting the fired cartridge and the cylinder turns to align a new cartridge with the bore. When the trigger is pulled the hammer falls, driving the cartridge into the chamber and firing it. Unfortunately, on this shotgun, the mainspring appears broken, because when the trigger is pulled the hammer must be pushed forwards manually, and when first cocked, the cylinder does not rotate automatically, although it does spin freely. The metal surfaces have been refinished, along with the buttstock. The shotgun is in about Fair condition. Most of the current finish has developed a patina, and there is pitting and handling marks under the finish. There are also spots of thinning on the barrel and receiver, with surface loss on the edges of the receiver and on the lower tang. The wood has a deep gouge on the right side of the buttstock with several thick drips of varnish on the right side and belly of the buttstock. There are also slivers of wood missing around the upper and lower tangs. The bore is gray with light erosion and a ring of moderate erosion near the muzzle. The screw-on choke is present, and the shotgun comes with 4 steel cases of the type used by this shotgun, which are very collectible in their own right. This is a nice find for anyone who collects Ropers. Far fewer of the revolving shotguns were made at Amherst than at Hartford, and there were fewer 16 gauge chambered shotguns than the more popular 12 gauge. This is a somewhat rare shotgun, and a forerunner of all semi-auto rifles and shotguns. We are sure it will appeal to the collectors despite its mechanical condition: someone will have the skills to fashion a mainspring and cylinder spring for this beauty.

RARE Roper Repeating Rifle Company Revolving Shotgun & 4 Shell Cases, MFD 1869-1876 Antique

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a contraption

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.