May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, R Reynolds, Marks_21, Ian Forrester, WBLDon, SKB), 1,063 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,529
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Acquired a drilling that has internal issues. The rifle fires every time either shotgun barrel is pulled. Also, this gun has a very unusual grip safety that, when depressed, will also fire the rifle.

I also want to explore the possibility of adding claw mount bases and rings for a scope. I fully understand the expense of such, but I would like to talk to someone capable of such.

Thanks very much for any help in this regard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With those tasks, I would probably look towards New England Custom Gun: NECG / newenglandcustomgun.com.

Larry might take on such @ Dutchmanwoodworks.

http://dutchmanwoodworks.com/

Then again Merkel USA in Trussville, Alabama might handle it. The name may be Steyr by now?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can recommend Del Whitman. He should be able to handle whatever needs to be done and will tell you if he can't. He did a wonderful job putting a WW1 vintage German double back on face for me. Last I knew he was in the Traverse City, MI. Google Del Whitman and you'll find plenty of hits.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes, they are now Steyr USA. For many, many years, going back to the Guns South days in Trussville when they had Merkel, there has been a Suhl-trained master gunsmith named Herbert Wohlmuth working for them. He does fantastic work.
Unfortunately, at some point they began refusing to let him take in any work other than their own. The last time I tried they would not even put my call through to him.
I may go by there and see if I can do some talking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tombigbee,
Your problems may not be as bad as you think. The "unusual grip safety" may not be a safety, but rather the selector. If the Greener type(side) safety has something like " nur fur schrot" or "nicht fur kuglel" means that it is only intended for the shot barrels and the top one is only for the rifle. The front trigger fires either the right hand shot barrel or the rifle barrel, depending on the position of the selector. If the rifle barrel is selected and the shotgun safety is off, both barrels may fire upon pulling the front trigger. The front trigger is also a "single set type" trigger. It should only be "set"(pushed forward) right before you intend to shoot the rifle. If you don't make the shot for some reason, you should "unset" it. This is safely done by opening the gun and touching the trigger to trip it. Just guessing from your screen name, you don't live that far from me. If you PM me, I will give you my telephone number and we can discuss the procedures. When you discuss fitting claw mounts with someone, you may also discuss fitting "swing" mounts. They return to zero as well as claw mounts and are generally cheaper.
Mike

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mike / Der Ami

Thanks very much for that. I will have this gun in hand this coming week. Until then, I can only go on the somewhat sketchy info the seller provided. When it arrives, I will definitely get in touch for further conversation. That is much appreciated.

The gun has no safety in the traditional spot on either side, and it looks like only the barrel selector is located on the tang.
I am attempting to attach photos below.
I will be in touch soon.

Tommy

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G2bEovWTrRdxiqPVA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, selector atop with unique grip safety(DRGM) on a Blitz Lock drillinge.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Any clue as to who may have made it? Other than a multitude of markings on the inside (one of which may indicate a manufacure date of 1928), the only other is "J. Nicklas" and "Riga" on the barrels. I've seen reference to the fact that there were a good number of Sauer shotguns badged (whatever that means) J. Nicklas. However neither Sauer or any other make'rs name is marked on this gun

Further evidence is the rifle caliber of 6.5 x 58R Sauer. At least those cartridges fit the chamber according to the seller. The gun is stamped "6.4mm x 58 1/2", of which there is no such cartridge I can find.

When I get it in hand I will post some good pictures .

Thanks

Tommy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tommy,
From the shape of the tang button, I suspect it is a "cocker/de-cocker" instead of a "selector". The function is close to the same but is considered to be safer. The rifle cannot fire unless it is cocked, on a "thumb cocking" drilling. What is unclear is the function of the grip safety when firing the rifle. A "thumb cocking" drilling would not typically need a safety to be "off" to fire but holding this one in the normal manner would cause the safety to be "off". I can't know for sure if it is a "thumb cocker" from the photo alone. If I had it "in hand" I could tell whether it is or not by "feel". If pushing the button forward cocks the rifle you can feel the extra effort required to overcome the spring tension. When you post the additional photos be sure to include all the markings and be sure we have clear images. You can't find a "6.4x58 1/2" cartridge because these markings are not the nominal designation of the cartridge. Rather, the 6.4 is the bore (not groove or bullet) diameter. Likewise, the 58 1/2 is the longest case that will chamber but says nothing about the shape of the case. These marks may indeed fit with the 6.5x 58R Sauer. There are a couple other 6.5x 58s that these proof marks would fit but both are unlikely to be chambered in a drilling. The bore diameter should be checked because the 6.5x58R Sauer usually uses a bullet smaller than the current standard .264" diameter. My own 6.5x58R Sauer uses a .260" bullet, which seems to be the most common diameter. I have read of one drilling that used .264" bullets so you might be lucky and not have to resize .264" bullets or use undersize .257" bullets. Cases can also be problematic but once you have enough, you don't have to worry about them anymore.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 02/10/22 11:13 AM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mike-

I'm greatly appreciative of your sharing this knowledge.

As soon as I get in hand, I will PM you for exchange of contact info.
I would love to meet up so you can evaluate it first-hand.

Tommy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.