April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (griz, rtw, ClapperZapper, welder, bigblock, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Been a while since I have enjoyed the wisdom of this forum. Say, I just bought a Husqvarna Model 20 from Simpson Ltd., described as choked full and full, this meaning "Swedish full and full." I'll have it in hand to actually measure the chokes on Saturday, but would like to ask for recommendations on a smith to open this to I/C and M. I am in New Mexico, so the closer the better. Is Mike Orlen still at the top of the list?
Thanks for any advice, gentlemen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the umpteenth time here. Dean Harris dba Skeet's Gunshop, Tahlequah, OK. World's best. Nothing against Mike Orlen, you understand.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 11/05/20 10:09 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stressed out this morning John? Gee whizz, the guy only has a few posts here compared to most of us. Maybe lighten up a little?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks John. I had searched under Husqvarna, but not "choke work."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Non aggressive intent. I just know how many times we've seen this asked and answered here over the years. But yeah, I'm stressed out of late...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 11/05/20 11:40 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a good list of outfit's to do this type of work. Here's my short list in no particular order.

Mike Orlen
Kirk Merrington
Briley's
Skeets

The underlying question as always is; Why not just accept the gun as it is & not anticipate altering a gun you haven't even inspected or shot yet? IMO opinion we in the shooting community stress out a little more than we should about choking in the average shooter shot gun. The equation changes when we're talking about competition shooting at a higher level. I would experiment with different loads and see how the gun actually patterns before I would consider altering the chokes. Gun fit may be more important for being able to hit the intended target than choking. Just my 2 cents, it's your gun & money, good luck with it & may you have many great days enjoying it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a Husqvarna, not a Purdey. This old link might be of interest. One suggestion was to shoot ammo with fiber wads instead of plastic to open the patterns.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=318754

Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience says, that you will find that fibre wads open the pattern less than expected.
Even spreader loads will not make an improved cylinder pattern out of a full choke, and the Swedish liked Xtra full.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was actually planning to start with black powder handloads in Magtech brass. I have all the appropriate 11- and 10-gauge Circle Fly wads at hand. But I might just want to order a flat of RSTs at some point. I have found that shooting BP loads really warms up the barrels on these LeFaucheaux guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I second the opinion of selecting Dean Harris from Skeets Gun Shop in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. And he is close enough that it will not be a transcontintal shipment. Call him, he is a very friendly and well versed expert. 918-456-4749

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.