May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (PatG, earlyriser, Jtplumb, Ducks Rx, 1 invisible), 140 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,082
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the "Shepherd's" post around anywhere? Did anyone save it?

I would appreciate to be able to read it again. It was worth keeping!

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 2-piper:
but I admire their good points & accept their flaws.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miller, with due respect, I think that is what everyone does with whatever things they like(guns, cars, horses, women, etc.), so don't get too pious.
Don; This was not meant in any way to be "Pious". While I would agree with the way the majority look at things, with all due respect I do not believe you can point to a statement Beans ever made admitting to any fault of an L C Smith. While the 21 crowd seems to have mellowed out over the last few years, I recall one enraptured devotee (don't recall who now, perhaps it was you, but don't think so) who even thought because Win had taken out a patent on their version of check hook, that all previous break open shotguns did not have one. Spoke of it as being highly "Innovative". Check hooks had been around at least as far back as the 1870's, perhaps even earlier. I think most have finally accepted it is simply a plain basic model shotgun, made of quality alloy steels which give it good strength & durability, but there is really nothing "New & Innovative" about it. I was speaking of those few who were posting along about the same time as Beans but many seemed to be more offended by Beans posts. I simply found both ammusing. Incidently I have an uncle, who in many regards is an outstanding gentleman with many qualities I greatly admire. He does sort of remind me of Beans thuogh in that where-ever he is it is hotter, colder, rains harder, snows deeper, etc, etc than anywhere else in the world. It seems to be a trait he just can't help, everything has to be the "Ultimate" or he can't accept it. Fortunately as you said the majority are not like that.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don is pretty rightous about his Winchester's, even those that have "Made in Japan" stamped on them in a place or two. But, I can't say I've ever heard him make any claims as to why he likes them.

He just does. Anybody who would have piped up about 21s would have had to deal with Russ back in the day. Outragous claims to model 21 quality, uniqueness, whatever, would have been dealt with most harshly by Klunk. But, Klunk liked LCs and let the Beaner defend the indefensible (think "Pumkin school" engraving, and cracked stocks.)

The rest of us peanuts in the gallery just cheered him on!
Best,
Ted

As ol Klunk used to say - "Hey ShuffleBean!"

Go take a look at DGJ Vol. 13, issue 2, pages 113-125 ....... Then come back and educate us more with your expert analysis on "Pumkin school engraving"

Sidelock
Sidelock

JC:

I've got a transcript of John Mann's 200+ post shepherd hoax. I was an unwitting dupe for a bit after the "shepherds" sent me an email requesting my help. My jaw dropped when I finally noticed that "worldpath" addy, put 2 with 2 and got five. After that I became an accomplice; most fun I've ever had on this board. I miss John around here

As for Beans, there were so many "lunchbox" LCs, it's a wonder Johnny Cash didn't write a song about them.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have won money shooting all of them, still own and collect all of them, am looking for more, so who am I to say one is better than the other. Oh, rats, do I have to sign this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Schefelbein:
I can't say I've ever heard him make any claims as to why he likes them.

He just does.
Ted, at least you like the same cars that I do. There may be hope for you yet! :p

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

10 bore,
Since you asked....look at the dogs, and the 'dude on what would be page 115, were it marked...the forward dog has the SAME "Daffy duck is about to hit me with a frying pan" cartoon look that they had when Beans and I got into it here several years past...look at the hunter to the right of the cartoon dogs...isn't he a piece of work, with his bowler and his "Casper the
Friendly Ghost" expression...Really good engraving will stand the test of magnification, 10 bore, and this stuff that you think is so wonderful hurts the eyes to look at in a picture. Do consider yourself, "Educated" as to "Pumpkin School" engraving. The ONLY place this gun would look good in is Graceland, and I mean that in the very best possible way...
Best,
Ted

Shooting Sportsman BBS has an audio interview with Beans in the "Hunting and Dogs forum. I didn't hear it as my audio is on the fritz. Have at it fans.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.