April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Leonard10, graybeardtmm3, smkummer, Lloyd3, buckstix, 1 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,186
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Browsing online, it looks like there are just dozens (or hundreds) of similar-ish JP Sauer & Sohn, Sauer & Sohn, etc. shotguns for sale. Mostly 16s or 12s, mostly choked tight.

Is there a particular reason so many are showing up on the US market? Have they always been here and I've never noticed? Or, has there been a legal (or social/cultural) shift in Europe which is causing a lot of them to be exported to the US?

Last edited by crazyquik; 10/22/18 11:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some nations, like Sweden, limit the number of guns you can own. Last I heard it was six. More could be had with a special permission. I think that has made lower grade guns much less attractive there so the low end market is almost zero. Other nations have somewhat similar restrictions.

Then on top of that there is the decreasing number of younger hunter. Some of the European birth rates are so low that their entire population is just getting old. As a friend of mine likes to say "Snowflakes don't hunt", here or there I suspect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WWII veterans brought many home and they have been passing at a high rate the past many years - if the next generation does not hunt they get sold

that is where mine came from- the old gentleman died- the person who got the gun did not want it

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Some nations, like Sweden, limit the number of guns you can own. Last I heard it was six. More could be had with a special permission. I think that has made lower grade guns much less attractive there so the low end market is almost zero. Other nations have somewhat similar restrictions.

I agree with the above reason. In Canada, there are a couple of retailers where the majority of their firearms are lower end guns brought in from Europe by the boat load. Lots of Sauers, Merkels, Simson, Husqvarna, Feg etc. Sometimes you can get a decent deal if you get one when inventory is first "restocked, otherwise many have been rode hard and put away wet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have to comply with a limit on the number of guns you can hold, and prove a need for each of them, you can be sure that it is the pitted, broken, rusted or cheapest that go first. Not that there are no good ones. You just have to choose carefully to find the diamond in the dross.

Last edited by Saskbooknut; 10/23/18 08:31 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What to us is a right to many is difficult or impossible. Unless prohibited by law you can own as many guns as you want. Compare that to a country where you must be approved to own even a single gun and even then your basic maximum number you can own is six. And Sweden is fairly liberal in gun ownership Im afraid. Any above that requires another determination of need and fitness, plus Im sure a minor fee. In this country it would come down to rich, corrupt or those breaking the law as possible gun owners. A working stiff or poor person would either not be able to afford gun ownership or be deemed by others as not needing one.

So all the low grade doubles are coming into this country at what to us seems a very low price. But over there those guns have almost no value. So they get sold in job lots, imported to the US, sorted and sold for what seems like great deals. The good stuff never lacks for a local market so it does not make the trip.

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed, the desirable ones move fast.
Just a few months ago, I barely missed a well used Sauer & Sohn .45-90 DR that had everything on it I wanted (plus a few dings and scratches), but it was quickly purchased by an in-country Swede. It would have been a great moose rifle.

That loss so frustrated me that I had to settle for this Beretta .45-70 !

Last edited by crs; 10/23/18 11:05 AM.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder how many of them passed through the hands of Russians.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive noticed that same things. Ive seen lots of nice guns but being a lefty the cheek piece always turns me away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Woody402-Removing that cheek piece would just be a few hours of pleasant work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.