May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (azgreg, HMAK, Jem Finch, GMCS, Jusanothajoe, 1 invisible), 267 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,563
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suggest you use cerrosafe to figure out what youve got ( I Did that with my .25-25 Stevens, it was fairly easy and inexpensive)
Agree with Marks21, out of proportion , its not 30-30 Ackley Imp, could it be 32 Special ( thought that was 30-30 necked up to 32 cal bullet)
Looking like a fun project,stick with it, I know you have grits in West Virginia.
By the way, thanks to this thread, I had a bit of a breakthroughwith my 2525 Stevens and my Hollenbeck drilling , I had the same failure to fire problem as mentioned earlier and thought my spring was messed up or my hammer not hitting hard enough, as advised,I jammed my primers as far up into the case as I could and ,lo and behold, with six test firings, four fired with the first hit with thehammer and the other two with the second hit. Im in business now, Im going to load the reduced load IMR 4227 with toilet paper and grits and have a blast !!
If I get a decent grouping Ill share it and then Ill eat some grits, I wonder if anybody looked up Roy Blount, Jr: song to gritsas I suggested, it explains a lot

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hmmmm, well it is definitely not bored to .35-30 (a .357 bullet is a good bit wider than the case mouth).

Still haven't made it to town for a caliper battery lol.

I think .32 Winchester Special might be a good guess. I am still pretty dubious about that ring on the brass, though. frown

I guess I will see about fixing the left shotgun firing pin myself. Haven't taken it apart yet, but depending on what the right-hand one looks like maybe I can use it for measurements to turn a new one for the left barrel. Then I'll leave the chamber casting and any potential reaming for a real gunsmith...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr.Polecat,
Leave any reaming to a gunsmith( I recommend no reaming),but you should be able to make a chamber cast yourself. A .308" bullet should drop easily in a fired 30-30 case, if it won't, something is wrong. The old 30-30 chambers are usually pretty generous anyway. Slug the bore, a 30-30 will be around .308", a 32 Win.Spec. .321-.322".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the suggestion of a good side-by-side gunSmith is a good one( I bet when the gun is clean inside the action, other than maybe replacing the small spring that retracts the shot gun firing pin, that everything will work fine, and I think youve heard our suggestions about making a cast of the chamber and bore Its easy,and will give you your answers
good luck in the end youll be glad you have a Hollenbeck drilling !

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given that there is a fireformed case available, I submit that slugging the bore would be more informative.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Weeeelp...

The fired case mouth ID measures ~.315-320
The fired case mouth OD measures ~.345-350

The bore at the muzzle measures ~.305. The caliper I used is only accurate to about 0.005, so I assume that's a pretty solid bet on the bore still being .308. If I measured it accurately, which is kinda questionable IMO.

Hmmmm. The OD of the fired case neck is pretty close to what .32 WS ought to be. I find it to be extremely difficult to measure bores and chokes accurately with a caliper, so I reckon I need to dig up some buckshot and slug it like you said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are right that it is hard to measure small IDs with calipers, because of the curvature and need to hit dead center. I am usually .001-.003" off, when compared to using small hole gauge and mic. A slug can be hard too, if the barrel has uneven number of grooves.
Mike

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.