May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Perry M. Kissam, MattH, Guy Ave, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 996 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#507957 03/11/18 01:41 PM
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am setting up a display of American drillings (double barrels shotgun with third rifle barrel) for the Baltimore Arms Show. I have: D.M. Lefever (sidecocker), Lefever Arms Co., Wm. Baker, L.C. Smith, D. Kirkwood, Hollenbeck Gun Co., Three Barrel Gun Co., and Royal Gun Co.

Are there others that are not just a one off? I have heard rumors of Remington and Ithaca models but cannot find them.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

great idea, would love to see it. Have not heard of any more than you mention. Wish you would write an article and publish about your display. Wonder what serial no. Hollenbecks you have. Numbered sequentially as you probably know. I have 2 Hollenbeck Drillings now, no. 35 passed down in my family (see thread Hollenbeck Drilling and German insert) and no. 236 just purchased from Cherry's, they have several more on consignment. Good luck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Bob,
Post some pics of your display. Great idea. Would love to see it!

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have seen drillings made after market on Parker Bros. and Ithaca doubles, but don't have a picture on this lap top.

During the Whitmore lifter action era, E. Remington & Sons made a very few double rifles and side-by-side rifle/shotgun combination guns but I don't know of a drilling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are quite a few muzzle loading drillings made in America, but it looks like you are doing breechloaders. Good idea for a display.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a drilling but I had the privilege of holding a Ellis & Lefever side hammer ML over/under in about 16 gauge by .40 caliber rifle. It was an extremely light weight gun, would have been very easy to carry all day. Was at a gun show so of course had no opportunity to shoot it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, thanks for that. I am working on the poster for the display and will be sure to make it "Breechloading"

Miller, I have one of the Lefever and Ellis "Cape Guns" you describe. I need to get that in the LACA newsletter. It would be great to do a story about shooting it.

DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew, Fred Adolph missed inclusion on my list because the guns were made in Germany/Prussia and finished by Fred Adolph in Genoa, NY.

Genoa was notable in my youth for being in Cayuga County while Ithaca and Cornell University are in Tompkins County. At the time the closing time for bars in Tompkins County was 1 AM, while Cayuga County was 3 AM. Drinking age was 18. Genoa was 18 miles from Ithaca. Need I say more?

DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is the display as requested. This may sound like "Sour grapes" and it is. Remember, this is the Baltimore Antique ARMS Show. This display lost out to a display of a bunch of beat up tin cups allegedly from the Civil War. The judging is rigged. They can fill my slot next year with "Dildos from the War of 1812" for all I care.

Last edited by DrBob; 03/21/18 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.