May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Der Ami, graybeardtmm3, Jtplumb, Oberndorf), 275 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,554
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Wonderful to see you getting this neat old family gun back out and taking game. Great buck too!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
ginge,
I share your and Tobi Nisse's sentiment-"Save the guns". Please don't limit it so much to drillings, many old BFs, BBFs, KLBs, DB, BDBs, etc., deserve saving as well. Don't forget the hammer guns.
Mike

I can assure you those guns are being saved as well.

ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good to hear from you Mike, and thanks again, you are always so supportive, yes we are “saving all those guns” you mentioned, “save the guns”, focusing on guns from the 50s through the 90s, very safe and serviceable, very exciting, if you give me the go ahead, I will email you how to get on our T&G German Gun Imports WhatsApp group, and you can see what Tobi is bringing over as he gets them in! We will also have a big supply of all the Sellier & Bellot metric ammo that is quite inexpensive ( We also will be getting in plenty of Norma and Geco, but are less certain about the cost, though representing all the hard to find metric ammunition that often are only available in Europe) and since Tobi is a gunsmith, he can repair anything that malfunctions, which seldom happens.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

ginge,
Please do email me. I have another idea that will go along with what you are trying to do and support the effort.
Mike
ginge,
I just tried to email you and the email you showed in an earlier posting didn't work, PM me with your current email. Thanks.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 02/07/19 12:25 PM.
ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, my Hollenbeck drilling number 35 had some problems with the left barrel spring becoming disabled and the safety not functioning properly, a young gun Smith in Robertsdale Alabama, Daniel Resmondo worked some magic with a little special welding and the problem is solved, in the meantime I became obsessed with Hollenback number 236, purchased from Cherry’s for parts, in 12 gauge over 32-40 Winchester. I obtained some vintage ammo , 180 grain cast bullets, and they were unstable and tumbled, I found the old 1908 three barrel gun Company catalog, it called for 165 grain bullet, and high power cartridges rated at 2065 ft./s muzzle velocity , I duplicated that with 165 grain .321 hornady FTX bullet and gradually worked up from 25 grains of Hornady’s leverevolution powder all the way to 34.5 grains with no significant pressure signs and matched the velocity at slightly over 2070 ft./s, I got a less than 1 inch group of three at 100 yards! (Would love to send the target with the bullet holes if one are you more gifted ones wants to help me put the picture in this forum) I ran into A family friend whose great grandfather had an old drilling, Tobi, my German friend and gunSmith partner was with me when we looked at the gun, and believe it or not, it was Hollenback Drilling number 874: 12 gauge over 32-40 Winchester, it’s like the Hollenbeck‘s are coming out of the woodwork, my question for researcher is, any information on The original owners of number 236 and now number 874?
Visit our website to see how this obsession with #35 Hollenbeck drilling has led to Germany guns for sale: www.german-gun-imports.com :”save the guns”

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Sounds like some exceptional shooting, less than 1" at 100 yards. Glad to hear you have it up and running again. Should be a fun gun in the field.

Here for the meltdowns
ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well,not such exceptional shooting, I would say exceptional gun, bullet construction, powder hand load, and luck, plus something sacrilegious, we have a special pivot mount produced in Germany specific for the Hollenbeck drilling, I’m embarrassed to say it is named for me, it is what was used to mount my Zeiss scope on number 35 Hollenbeck drilling, therefore, on number 236 Hollenbeck drilling, I plan to have the same mounting system placed by Tobi Nisse, my German gunSmith/gun dealer/partner,on one of his visits to Alabama, in the meantime, I had my Robertsdale Alabama gunSmith, the gifted Daniel Resmondo,cut the rib in precisely the place the pivot mount will go,but temporarily placed a Picatinny rail, that allowed me to mount my ATN x sight II day and night vision electronic scope, which then allowed me to shoot a group of three shots from my Hollenbeck drilling #236 with 32-40 Winchester handloads,within 1 inch at 100yards, in other words, I did not use iron sights! Would be glad to share a picture of this ridiculous set up of old and new, along with my target and the text from a 1908 Three Barrel Gun Company catelog , recommending high power charge giving 2065 ft./s . Caution, of course, I began the loads with only 25 grains of leverevolution powder and gradually worked up all the way to 35 grains, as I approached the higher loads, I Had the permission of the two gunSmiths who had examined my gun, and I used a micrometer to measure case expansion and I also measured velocity, the sweet spot was 34.5 grains that gave an average velocity of slightly over 2073 ft./s and with those five measured shots, from the minimum velocity to the maximum velocity spread was only 30 ft./s, I suggest that every gun is different and anyone considering a high power charge like this should Be sure the gun was originally rated for this, as was the Hollenbeck drilling, start slowly, working up, measuring carefully for pressure, I am just giving my own results!
Many of the older guns in 32-40 Winchester were not made with the strength of the Hollenbeck drilling and this high power cartridge was discontinued, in part, because of fear of injury and damage should these high power loads be used in the older weapons, never meant for this high pressure. BE CAREFUL!
However, I’m pretty fired up to hunt with this load, which is accurate and plenty strong enough to take a deer or pigs to 200 yards with a very reasonable trajectory.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Some interesting offerings and very reasonable prices you have on what look to be some nice guns.

Steve

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I agree with SKB, nice looking guns at good prices.
Mike

ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Still wondering if researcher has any information on Hollenbeck drilling number 236 or three barrel gun company drilling number 874? Thanks

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.