May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dan R, dblgnfix), 878 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,853
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bored out a stock last year to reduce weight. I drilled three holes leaving a least 3/8" of wood on each side. As I drilled deeper I reduced the diameter of the holes.
A lot wood was removed, adding up to only 3.5 oz.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Use 2.5 shells instead of 2.75 smile. Seriously do you check your balance with the shells or out? While close to the pivot povint it does make a difference.

Last edited by Tamid; 02/09/18 09:39 AM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a side note, has anyone considered the stock wall strength after such wood removal? I imagine that it could be taken to extreme weaking the integrity of the stock walls.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

And some people go to the other extreme, wishing to add weight to the butt, which can cause problems as well.

I bought a G Grade Lefever a few years ago on Gunbroker. The auction photos showed a clean longitudinal crack in the butt stock, and it also appeared that the buttplate was warped outward. The gun sold pretty cheap because of the obvious defects. When I received it, I pulled the buttplate and found a 7/8" hole about 3 1/2" deep that was filled with lead shot which was held in place with a small wad of tightly packed cloth. Over time, the lead shot oxidized heavily causing it to swell, which split the stock and forced the buttplate outward. I dug out the shot and glued the clean split closed with Titebond II wood glue, and then filled the hole with a hardwood dowel also glued in place with epoxy. The warped buttplate was easily bent back into shape after heating it with boiling water. I was lucky that there was no missing wood and the repair was imperceptible.

And I also feel that guys who think a couple ounces of imbalance are the reason for poor shooting are probably fooling themselves.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
And I also feel that guys who think a couple ounces of imbalance are the reason for poor shooting are probably fooling themselves.

Amen.

I have friends who can adapt to nearly anything within reason, and still shoot very well. After a few shots with a gun your "muscle memory" goes to work and things settle down. A good shot is going to be a good shot, regardless what he is shooting.

That last bit of proper fit of gun to man will probably only increase your score a few birds...............but in competition one or two percent increase in score can be huge. Many, many shoots are won or lost by one bird.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

On average, shooters can detect 4 oz of weight change; not the same as guessing a gun's weight within 4 oz. A balance location shift is usually noticed at 1/4" shift; first sign of unsuitable balance is moving front hand after mounting. Unmounted swing effort change is usually detected at about 0.20 and mounted at about 0.50.

If that 2 oz is at the extreme ends, it may matter.

DDZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman

If that 2 oz is at the extreme ends, it may matter.

Perhaps I should clarify my statement by emphasizing that I specifically referred to "a couple ounces of imbalance" as the reason for their poor shooting. I absolutely feel that things like gun fit, choking, actual pattern density, and the very real fact that some people just aren't very good shots have much more to do with scores or hunting success than the addition or subtraction of a couple ounces at either end of the gun.

That being said, I am continually amazed that quite a few shooters insist on turning their buttstocks into Swiss cheese, or other balancing extremes that probably won't change their hit ratios in the least. There are some guns that may benefit from radical changes in balance such as stock hollowing, barrel striking, etc. Many of those guns have already been altered from their original factory configuration, such as when someone attempts to turn a heavy duck gun into an upland gun by lopping several inches off the barrels. But the vast majority of us aren't into things like high stakes Olympic shooting where one missed target in a hundred or more shots justifies radical alterations to our guns.

When I read this stuff, I am often reminded of the story of "The Princess and the Pea". Stuffing a few shells into a tubular magazine of a semi-auto skeet gun, or shooting and ejecting same likely has more effect on balance and swing efforts. The time and effort spent on magic solutions and stock butchering would be better spent on practice or shooting lessons.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Fire your first shot from a double gun and you have upset your perfectly balanced apple cart by an ounce or so. Does that affect your lateral handling?
Gun fit and balance is important, however have you seen the guys that can shoot a perfect score at skeet from the hip?? It's all hand eye coordination and practice.
Chasing ounces is like running past dollars to pick up nickles.

Last edited by grouse28; 02/11/18 04:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All following in the spirit of good debate.;-)

Originally Posted By: grouse28
Fire your first shot from a double gun and you have upset your perfectly balanced apple cart by an ounce or so. Does that affect your lateral handling?

That "ounce or so" came from very near the balance point, so it has minimal effect on balance or swing efforts. Since vertical and lateral are the same factors, I think it fair to say handling is little effected.

Gun fit and balance is important, however have you seen the guys that can shoot a perfect score at skeet from the hip?? It's all hand eye coordination and practice.

I've seen 25's from the hip. Good gun fit reduces the need for high order hand-eye coordination and practice.

Chasing ounces is like running past dollars to pick up nickles.

What do you do when all "the dollars" have been picked up and you are still a nickle short?

DDA

Boxlock
Boxlock

Ha! Good on you Rocketman. Points well taken.
The dollars are still on the ground but you have a pocketful of nickles.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.