April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, Marks_21), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#501558 01/14/18 02:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can the Darne Enthusiasts here recommend references for dating Darne guns?
I'm particularly interested in tracking down information on what is supposed to be a 12 bore Type 10 Non Ejector SN 7V290.
thanks
Jeremy

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no such thing as a Darne type 10 non ejector. Every Darne R model IS an ejector gun. But, they are Darne ejectors, which, are far more sensible, reliable, and useful than just about any other ejector ever dreamed up.
This is a list of Darne serial number by date:

It has so many exceptions, and changes over the years that it is just about useless to anyone who did not work with or in the factory that produced the guns. But, it is a start.

When I take a stab at dating a Darne, I like to have the gun in hand, and examine the proof marks, importers name, or lack of same, on the barrels, and specific features and choke/bore measurements of the gun. Simply having a grade and serial number tells you almost nothing.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
But, they are Darne ejectors, which, are far more sensible, reliable, and useful than just about any other ejector ever dreamed up.

How about expanding upon those assertions, Ted. More sensible .........more useful?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Much, MUCH more sensible, as you can easily grab them as they come out of the gun, Stan. Further, the emptys will ALWAYS be right down by your feet, in front of you, should you choose not to do that.
More reliable would, of course, not even be open for debate, seeing the percentage of guns that end up at the 'smith over balky, conventional, ejectors.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

What I prefer about the Darne ejectors is that they do not 'kick' the spent shells anywhere. That is, they eject (extract) them from the chambers and leave them lay on the action flat.

When I'm shooting where I do not want to leave empties on the ground I just pick them up off the flats and put them in my game pouch. Otherwise I can tip the action over and dump them where I want them...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Much, MUCH more sensible, as you can easily grab them as they come out of the gun, Stan. Further, the emptys will ALWAYS be right down by your feet, in front of you, should you choose not to do that.
More reliable would, of course, not even be open for debate, seeing the percentage of guns that end up at the 'smith over balky, conventional, ejectors.

Best,
Ted

We may see that differently, Ted. But, I won't argue it with you. I catch every empty in my hand that ejects from my guns, when I desire to. Anyone with an IQ high enough to operate a top lever can do so. It really requires no training ......... you just DO it. And, I guess you may have a point about reliability, can't say for sure, as I have been using non-Darne ejector doubles for the majority of my years on this planet, with never a broken ejector. I've shot an ejector O/U in Argentina over 9000 rounds, with nary a breakdown. Am I lucky, or is it just that the majority of people who shoot ejectors don't brag on their reliability, but the ones who have seen one break can't wait to tell about it? I dunno.

I do know this, when my guns eject I don't have to cant the gun to one side or the other to get them to roll off out of the way to reload. Never used one myself, but was told that by a Darne user.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/14/18 05:41 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like I need to make a short video and put it on youtube to convince some well meaning folks that conventional ejectors do not have to "litter the ground" and that the hulls can be caught and disposed of faster than you can say it. I'm going to try to remember to get a buddy to record that for me next time I'm at the range.

It's like saying a screwdriver is a bad tool because it mars screw slots ........... yeah, if it's not used properly.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

What? No its not like saying anything at all about screw drivers. Ejectors are nothing like screw drivers. Ejectors are for ejecting stuff, screw drivers are for screws. Comparing the two is preposterous. Talk about tortured metaphors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Canting the gun isn't actually a requirement, but, depending on how you manipulate the opening cl on a Darne, it can speed how soon the emptys are out of the way.
The higher grade guns have a pin in the obturator disc, that gives the spent round a jab to the outside of the gun, and off the ejector hook. In the more common lower grade Rs, the emptys get a shove from the hook itself, that effect being amplified when the breech is slid back with gusto. Giving the opening lever a bit more umph on a high grade does the same thing.
I'll buy you have never broke one, Stan, but, there is NO shortage of posts, and pictures, of guys right on this board who have. Spanish ones, Turkish ones, Italian ones, Scottish ones, English ones, Japanese ones, Americna ones, whatever.
While the ejector hook on a Darne could break, I haven't seen one, and have never seen a post about that either. Here, or anywhere else.
I'm right there with George Hoenig, when it comes to single triggers, and conventional ejectors.
They can't cause problems when they aren't there. Which, is why he will build you a superb Hoenig rotary, but, it won't have a single trigger or ejectors.

I hunt with conventional doubles, also, Stan, and prefer them with ejectors. In my case, an ejector just isn't truly needed for the shooting/hunting I get to do. My self imposed limit on birds is a brace, and speeding that end up is certainly not a requirement.
I hope you enjoy your time afield, with whatever gun tickles your fancy.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nialmac
What? No its not like saying anything at all about screw drivers. Ejectors are nothing like screw drivers. Ejectors are for ejecting stuff, screw drivers are for screws. Comparing the two is preposterous. Talk about tortured metaphors.

It's not a comparison. It's an analogy. Not the same thing at all. I obviously overestimated some of the "audience", but I'll concede I could have done better. In the interest of helping you understand my meaning, the analogy was about proper use, or misuse, of a tool..........ejectors being one tool, a screwdriver being the other. Maybe it would have helped you if I had used a fighter jet's ejection seat, instead of the screwdriver.

Stan,
Canting the gun isn't actually a requirement, but, depending on how you manipulate the opening cl on a Darne, it can speed how soon the emptys are out of the way.
The higher grade guns have a pin in the obturator disc, that gives the spent round a jab to the outside of the gun, and off the ejector hook. In the more common lower grade Rs, the emptys get a shove from the hook itself, that effect being amplified when the breech is slid back with gusto. Giving the opening lever a bit more umph on a high grade does the same thing.
I'll buy you have never broke one, Stan, but, there is NO shortage of posts, and pictures, of guys right on this board who have. Spanish ones, Turkish ones, Italian ones, Scottish ones, English ones, Japanese ones, Americna ones, whatever.
While the ejector hook on a Darne could break, I haven't seen one, and have never seen a post about that either. Here, or anywhere else.
I'm right there with George Hoenig, when it comes to single triggers, and conventional ejectors.
They can't cause problems when they aren't there. Which, is why he will build you a superb Hoenig rotary, but, it won't have a single trigger or ejectors.

I hunt with conventional doubles, also, Stan, and prefer them with(out?) ejectors. In my case, an ejector just isn't truly needed for the shooting/hunting I get to do. My self imposed limit on birds is a brace, and speeding that end up is certainly not a requirement.
I hope you enjoy your time afield, with whatever gun tickles your fancy.

Best,
Ted

Thanks for the better explanation, Ted. I appreciate it. (I interjected the red addition to your post. I think I understood your meaning?)

There certainly are complaints of ejectors failing, no problem finding them to read. And, I don't deny they fail. But, I'm still of the opinion that we hear the complaints in a far, far greater proportion than we do the accounts of those ejectors that have just kept on working perfectly for a lifetime. It just doesn't make sense that my experience is that far out of line with the world's in general. If that were the case, I'd be planning to hit the Blackjack tables hard while I'm at the Vegas gun show this week ..............because I'd be leading a charmed life. But, I won't be. I gamble enough every spring when I plant. wink

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/15/18 07:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.