May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, graybeardtmm3, Jeremy Pearce, Guy Ave, 2 invisible), 244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,908
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I strip clean and degrease my cc's guns and coat them with spray polyurethane. I do that every couple years. The cc on my guns, used continually year round show no degradation of the colors whatsoever since coming to my care.

So use and do whatever you like but if you like the colors to stay there are FAR better coatings than tung oil, laq (watta a joke!), or varnish.

I have been told of a bake-on enamel that Brownells sells but have not had the opportunity to check that out. Bake-on has some great potnetial for sure.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
To each his own, but my personal experience with case colors: leave them alone. Protective varnish of any kind can peel, and when it does, the case colors go with it. It ain't pretty.

If you use a gun, it gets wear, everywhere. Don't worry about case colors getting worn off as you use your piece. It looks right. And I learned a long time ago to NOT handle the receiver with sweaty, dirty hands, or clean ones for that matter, when handling or carrying.

If it's a safe queen collectable, just keep it away from the sunlight, lightly oiled.
JR

Sorry, John. Couldn't disagree more.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
touch hit up wid a torch now an den...duck tape wood, so hit dont git burnt...

if you can take the wood off without to much trouble youll be way ahead in that game..... wink

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gents,
the profis were using transparent Zapon laquer
(as used on lot of old scientific instruments).
May get with time and hot action a yellowish tinge,
can be removed with acetone and simply relaquered.
DOES prevent to get nasty corro-spots on the action and sideplates
and does not harm the colours.
Felix Neuberger

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On my Flues the case coloring is near perfect. I see many flues with no case coloring. The Flues I have is a shooter. It would be nice to try and save the colors. I'm still not sure about the best method.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
Hi Joe, Is it important to get all the oil off with something like acetone prior to treatment? Im guessing so, but dont know for sure.

Buzz, I always clean with a solvent of some sort. I think alcohol wiped would be good enough.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

yeah, nut, but den some utter nut wood den com plane bout turned screws...mebbe hits best to follow lenin's advice an jes "let it be"...

an ah do believe uv rays, such as sunlight do fade case colors an utter colors, as well...

Last edited by ed good; 01/07/18 04:53 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
I strip clean and degrease my cc's guns and coat them with spray polyurethane. I do that every couple years. The cc on my guns, used continually year round show no degradation of the colors whatsoever since coming to my care.

So use and do whatever you like but if you like the colors to stay there are FAR better coatings than tung oil, laq (watta a joke!), or varnish.

I have been told of a bake-on enamel that Brownells sells but have not had the opportunity to check that out. Bake-on has some great potnetial for sure.

The baking lacquer from Brownell's is tougher than hell, tougher than catalyzed poly, in my opinion. You need to own, and be qualified to use, spray equipment, to apply it. I'm not sure what would cut it, if you decided to try to take it off. Never tried, but, standard dip type carb solvent would be worth a shot, and does not hurt case colors. You can clearly tell when a gun has been coated with this stuff, not all guys like that look, but, I prefer case colors where the factory put them, and most factories put something on them to try to keep them around.
I've used the spray bomb Krylon sold in art stores, which is just a thin lacquer, dries fast, and protects well enough, and is easily removed with a dip in a pan of lacquer thinner.
Most of the spray bomb polys sold in the stores turn an unfortunate shade of yellow, when exposed to sunlight. I have a few older cans of Deft and Guardsman poly, that are clearly marked "For indoor use only", and I'm pretty sure they were water resistant enough, but, suffered phase shift issues when exposed to direct sunlight. The baking lacquer, lacquer, and automotive type polys that are sprayed out of a gun, do not. Neither does the Krylon spray can stuff, as it is aimed at artists who use it in applications where that would be a huge no-no. It is thin, and I would say just effective enough.
I have a quart can of Duco "Crystal Clear" lacquer from the bad old days of automotive refinishing, that I have used on case colors a few times. It is tougher than tung oil, clear, forgiving, and impossible to buy anymore.
I'd say it is as durable as it needs to be for this application, and wish it was easily obtainable.
More than once, I've had trouble with fisheyes, and wrinkled coating when spraying guns, as people seem to think silicone is a proper lubricant or rust preventer. I like to clean twice, once a dip in regular spray gun cleaner grade lacquer thinner, and a second time in automotive wax and grease remover, neither of which will harm case colors, unless you start rubbing on them.
I sprayed baking lacquer on this Darne R10 21 years ago, and have used it relentlessly, every season since, in all kinds of weather. Still about the same as the day I did it:

On the other hand, I wish I could come up with something that would prevent this:

This is a mid to late 1960s vintage Darne V19 that I was patterning on Saturday, and when I got home I discovered this chunk of horn missing from it's tip. Hindsight being 20/20, I maybe should have waited for warmer temps, and in the future I will do so with horn tipped Darne guns.
The gun has a long LOP, and won't be used by me during cold temps anyway.
I imagine this will be repaired with tinted Acra Glass, and look fine when it is over. But, that isn't what I said when I saw it as I slipped the gun out of it's case.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going to venture that the durability of the coating is in this order: drying oil, natural wax, synthetic wax, varnish/laq, poly, bake-on. The protectiveness of the coating is based on keeping things with grit on 'em off the CC. The trade-off is ease of application and renewal vs long term durability. You pays your money/invests your time and takes your choice. I have found that Ren wax,renewed with sufficient frequency, does the job. The big trick is to not get lazy on maintenance or put on one that is more maintenance free.

CC is not photosensitive.

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

would it be ok to put on car wax? turtle wax perhaps to the case colors?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.