May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R. Glenz, L. Brown, Jusanothajoe, Ted Schefelbein, prairie ghost), 717 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,639
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#500617 01/06/18 01:35 AM
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking for an engraver, preferably in the western US, that can replicate and pick up fine English rose and scroll engraving. Relatively rapid turn around time is important.

Thanks, for any suggestions.

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

i expect your issue will be a rapid turn around

anyone worth working on your gun already has a back log

i left a set of barrels with a very good engraver a couple months ago- just to have the rib's lettering picked up

if i had said rapid turn around he'd have laughed and left me holding them -- i'll get them when he is done and they will be perfect-

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am planning on using this fellow for a small job, hes not out west but what can you do.

http://www.geoffroygournet.com/

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Geoffroy has done engraving for me. Excellent work. "Replicate" and pickup engraving are important terms, and will likely come in quicker than commisioning a unique, full coverage work. Geoffroy might be the best at making new engraving look just like old engraving.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I havent dropped in on John Todd for a while but I wouldnt hesitate to have him do the work.
I imagine he is getting backlogged too these days.
He did this Webley for me - I love showing off this rifle!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark Cooper from California is a great engraver and is a member of this forum. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note sure if Charles is available, but he is an English engraver that does excellent scroll and does large or small jobs. Has done work for most of the 'best' makers in the UK. He is in California.

Charles E. Lee
Sporting Gun Engraver
(209) 763-5192

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Charles Lee returned to England a while ago. He is indeed an excellent engraver. Roger Kehr is in WA State. Bob Evans in Oregon City, OR. www.fega.com will get you the current engravers listed as Master Engravers nationally.

Last edited by DES/TSD; 01/07/18 12:34 AM. Reason: additions to post

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DES/TSD
Charles Lee returned to England a while ago. He is indeed an excellent engraver. Roger Kehr is in WA State. Bob Evans in Oregon City, OR. www.fega.com will get you the current engravers listed as Master Engravers nationally.

Thanks, Dennis. I was wondering why I had not seen him at the usual places and events.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SXS 40

Looking for an engraver, preferably in the western US, that can replicate and pick up fine English rose and scroll engraving. Relatively rapid turn around time is important.

Thanks, for any suggestions.

40;

You may not be aware that picking up the engraving on a English gun that was originally case hardened is not a quick process or inexpensive process.

Firstly, (unless the gun was poorly hardened originally, or has the case hardened very very worn away) the action and other hardened parts of the gun will need to be sent to out to be annealed so that the engraver can have a surface soft enough to re-engrave. It is possible to re-engrave a case hardened action, but the effort is so great that no one wants to do it after they have done one--or tried to do so. Then after the re-engraving the action is sent out for re-hardening.

The re-hardening issue itself is a controversial matter, as re-hardening requires very high temperature in the range of 1400-1500 degrees F and then the action is quenched. Further to keep a English gun in proof after re-hardening requires the gun to be submitted for re-proof at Birmingham or London proof houses. Re-hardening can produce stress to the action and sometimes cracking occurs. One of my colleagues a well known Birmingham gunsmith with 50 years in the trade is strongly opposed to re-hardening because of the stress issues. So, one must be cautious in selecting a re-hardener.

Sometimes several hours work is required to refit the action to the barrels and fore-end after re-hardening. I have found that you can expect 2-3 hours work in this matter.

Turnbull here in USA can advise you, as well as St. Ledgers in Birmingham, England.

Of course you have the option of not re-hardening your gun after re-engraving.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.