May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, AGS), 266 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#5198 10/12/06 07:41 AM
sbs Offline OP
OP Offline

Randy, deer season opens here in acouple weeks and the Baker will be locked and cocked. Last night my brother (a doublegun NUT) noticed that the barrels of the Baker at the muzzle seemed to be somewhat further apart than on a couple of LC Smith that he and I own. A quick measurement proved they are. My brother brought out a Baker that he recently purchased with 26 inch barrels (previously cut) and the centerline measurement on those were wider also. The Baker that I shoot has a fitted wedge between the barrels and appears to be a factory wedge that was installed at the point where the barrels were cut.

#5199 10/12/06 08:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

SBS; You said this was a "Baker Special". Is the gun actually marked "Batavia Special". If so this is the steel bbl version of the Batavia Leader. The Batavia line came in several versions & was Baker's "Field Grade" guns. They lacked the hammer block safety & draw bolt of the higher priced Baker line. They were a very good gun for their price.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
#5200 10/12/06 08:41 AM
sbs Offline OP
OP Offline

2-piper, yes the gun is marked Baker Special. In all my ramblings I forgot to mention another issue with this one and the other I have, the safety slides a touch too far to the rear almost like a three position type. In so doing the gun will discharge. I assume an easy fix.

Mark

#5201 10/12/06 08:50 PM

On two of my bakers the safety can be released by pushing forward or back.Neither has the connector installed for auto safety return. I am guessing that the rod or whatever is missing and that it is a three position safety. By sliding it back it would be disengaged for shooting trap or live bird shooting. Sliding it forward would put it in position to be returned automatically.Safe is centered between.

#5202 10/13/06 12:36 AM
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

SBS, Exactly how would you describe the wedge between the barrels on your Baker. Do you think that it is a factory fix? Have you taken the wedge out to inspect it as to its function? A wedge to me would be to seperate the barrels more on regulating if that is what was actually done on your Baker. My 23" Baker appears under a loupe to be just solder to fill the gap. What gives? I hope that wedge isn't the majic that is making your Baker a one holer? That would give no hope for my 16ga. Baker to be nothing other than a street sweeper. Randy

RMC
#5203 10/16/06 10:17 AM
sbs Offline OP
OP Offline

Randy,The wedge looks to be a solid piece of steel flush with the muzzles however there is solder above and below. I don't think its a wedge used during a regulation process. I would guess that when the barrels were cut off the owner fitted this wedge to give it a more finished look. Just my thoughts.

#5204 10/17/06 01:03 PM
sbs Offline OP
OP Offline

Just an update, the trigger pull has been adjusted on the right lock, breaks clean at 3.5 lbs. The locks have been removed and i have bedded the lock area. I have also fitted a Silvers recoil pad. The gun continues to shoot great. I shot some of the Federal Tru-Ball slugs and the groups were tight however 4 inches high to POA. I tried the Federal Tru-Ball slugs in an LC Smith R Frame 12 ga 26 inc barrels (previously cut) and both barrels with the bead shot to POA at 25 yards 3 inches low. I plann on trying the muzzle relief on the outer edges as was done on the Stevens. Not to fret this Smith is a mis matched serial number put together gun. I am attemting to post pictures however i have dial up service (live in the sticks) I attempted to download some last night and after two hours gave up.

sbs #19458 01/10/07 12:17 PM
sbs Offline OP
OP Offline

Good day all, I have been busy on another page of this website (topic: side by side conversion) however I have had time to work on another Baker that I acquired. Its the same model as the one I had previously purchased. The barrels had been cut to 25 inches with a butcher knife, so I found a factory wedge at the 23 inch mark and recut, squared and filled with solder. I have been trying different ideas about regulating and may have hit on something however I will have to acquire another gun to confirm. I fitted this Baker with open sights and sling swivels. I made a steel wedge 1.5 inches long, contoured to fit on the underside of the barrels, this wedge is shaped, profiled and slightly protrudes below the barrels. I placed this wedge at the muzzle end of the barrels and held it in place with a automotive style hose clamp. I zeroed the right barrel and then went to work on the left. Without getting too lenghty the left barrel printed 8 inches to the right of the point of aim at 50 yards. I began to reposition the wedge towards the rear with minimal results however the POI was moving towards the point of aim. I made another wegde 2 inches long an slightly thicker and started over. The wedge has landed up 1.75 inches in front of the sling swivel stud and the gun is shooting both barrels to point of aim into a consistent 3 inch group at 50 yards. I'm unsure if I have found something or maybe the gods of regulation have granted me a temporary stay. Any ideas?

Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.