April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (LeFusil, NCTarheel, campero, CJF, FelixD, ClapperZapper), 982 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,183
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
keith, are you sure it was a Stevens and not a Savage 220? Savage and Stevens were interwined in ownership, but not sure if Stevens had a 220. I've got Savages in .410, 20 and 16 and all are 220 but with a different letter behind the 220 which I can never keep straight. Gil

Yes Gil, you are correct. It was the old hammerless Savage 220, and I still have it. I'll have to get it out to see if there is a letter after the 220. It does get confusing because Savage also makes a bolt action model 220. It was my first shotgun, which I bought with my paper route earnings. It is choked so tight that solid hits inside of 25 yards shredded game. It would consistently put at least two or three pellets into a pop can at a full 100 yards, so to only put two pellets into that pheasant probably meant that I caught him with the outer fringe of the pattern.

I saw a really nice one in 16 ga. at a gun show last year, and set it down after examining it while I thought about buying it. The guy next to me immediately picked it up and bought it. I don't see them very often, and most are well used.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I got my old single shot 20 ga. out this evening, and it is a Savage model 220A. I haven't used it in years, and was surprised at the amount of fiddleback grain in the buttstock, considering it is just a plain Jane single shot. The barrel blue and action case colors are still pretty good, but the finish on the stock is worn in the grip area. I think the wood deserves a little makeover. And I left it out so I can run a few shells through it for old time's sake. It killed a lot of pheasants, rabbits, and squirrels before I bought my first repeater. It helped me learn to make the first shot count. I also have a Savage single shot model 94C that I leave out in the garage. The little 220A is a much nicer gun, and I wonder why Savage stopped making them.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably a once in a lifetime event. Many years ago in
England a friend shot at a crossing cock pheasant at about
twenty yards. The shot was heard to hit but the bird flew
on for about fifty yards or so where it was found dead.
On dressing it had no less than fifteen pellet strikes
but all but two had little or no penetration. Two in the
neck had killed the bird and there was bleeding.
Shell was short of powder or it did not all burn.
That one was down to cartridge failure.
Very rare but can happen.

Cheers,
Taffy Atkins
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.