April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, Parabola, Der Ami, HistoricBore, Fudd, Birdog), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,192
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

This topic has been going for 50 years and the 16 perseveres. I think of my 16's as 12-lights. They fit my hands and are nice to carry in the field. I do have a 20, but it sits in the bedroom closet loaded with buckshot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I got my first 16 in the late 60's I came in for a fair
amount of gentle ribbing. There going to die out was the oft
repeated refrain. Well it has not, and will not. Great gauge
and going to be around for a very long time yet.
If you have used one for any period of time you will know just how effective they can be.
Good and safe shooting.

Cheers,
Taffy Atkins
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's great! All this talk about the 16ga. has me thinking of that Merkel 1620 again. Oh well, Christmas is coming and I've been a very good boy.....
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a "current events" note to those who might think the 16 ga. is obsolete. Perazzi has just offered a true, scaled frame, 16 ga. O/U. It has a Woodward style, open semi-pistol grip.

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/perazzis-new-models/

I cannot imagine Perazzi introducing a gun in an "obsolete" gauge.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/30/18 09:53 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been shooting a Scott Premier 16 with 27" bbls. the past few quail seasons and, at 6 lbs., it handles, and shoots like a dream. With 1 ounce loads, it honestly, as the old saying goes, shoots like a 12 and carries like a 20. Now I know why the gauge was so popular, particularly in the South. It took me 35 years to find this gun, but it was worth it. Sandlapper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Just a "current events" note to those who might think the 16 ga. is obsolete. Perazzi has just offered a true, scaled frame, 16 ga. O/U. It has a Woodward style, open semi-pistol grip.

SRH

Yes, I think this plus fact that most Walmarts carry 16ga ammo from Winchester, Remington and Federal should put rumors of 16ga going extint to rest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We forget that the US is not the only market for new guns. I suspect there is still a stronger following for the 16 in many European countries. So that Prazzy might be a better seller there than here for them. I hope it sells well so companies are willing take a risk on small market items like the 16.

Many years ago Ruger announced it was going to make a limited run of several calibers that the experts were telling everyone were all but dead. When they announced one would be .257 Roberts they had more orders in one week than the total planned production. So many orders they simply kept it in the line for several years. The experts were wrong, just as they are wrong about the death of the 16. People like nostalgic things. They like connecting with their past either real or imagined. So the 16 lives and ammo is easier to find now than ten years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
We forget that the US is not the only market for new guns. I suspect there is still a stronger following for the 16 in many European countries. So that Prazzy might be a better seller there than here for them. I hope it sells well so companies are willing take a risk on small market items like the 16.

Many years ago Ruger announced it was going to make a limited run of several calibers that the experts were telling everyone were all but dead. When they announced one would be .257 Roberts they had more orders in one week than the total planned production. So many orders they simply kept it in the line for several years. The experts were wrong, just as they are wrong about the death of the 16. People like nostalgic things. They like connecting with their past either real or imagined. So the 16 lives and ammo is easier to find now than ten years ago.

Browining Arms Company is helping nostalgia lovers along by offering new Auto-5, Citori, and BPS in 16ga. They even had limited run of .300H&H bolt guns recently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3

A nice grouse I took last year with my DMB 16 bore. It is the perfect grouse gun for my purposes. The scaled action 16 ga rounded frame is much more svelte than the 12 and fits the hand perfectly. I am not opposed to smaller gauges, but this 16 is 6-1 and I have no need for anything smaller.

I round action 16 would fill the bill for almost any upland shooter. My personal birdguns are 16s... a lightweight Jos. Harkom and a graded A.H. Fox. They have killed a lot of game for me and most likely for their previous owners.

Congratulations on a truly lovely gun.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

Perazzi offered a scaled frame 16 some years ago - the MX16. I got excited and bought one.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.