April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gunwolf #494617 11/12/17 04:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great video, CZ. I really enjoyed that, and another one where they sculled up on a raft of blackjacks. It looks like a way of chasing ducks I would greatly enjoy. Two things I noted, and both from my experiences trying to sneak up on ducks in a low profile boat.

First, divers are not nearly as cautious as puddle ducks. I drift and jump shoot woodies and you would never, ever, in a million tries, slip up that close to a bunch of woodies on open water with no cover. If I didn't drift creeks and rivers that were twisting and turning, providing me cover to close the distance, I wouldn't kill any.

Second, that guy in the front is very trusting of the man behind him with a loaded gun. I don't know of but possibly two men I would allow to have a loaded gun behind me. It can be supremely dangerous in the excitement of a drove of ducks rising off the water.

I usually drift alone, and scull this little rig with one half of a kayak paddle which is tied by a short length of camo rope to my belt. My gun is in my left hand, muzzles up, safety off. I scull with my right hand keeping the boat in position for me to shoot at a rise from about the 8 o'clock to about 12 o'clock positions (I'm right handed), as I let the current carry me. When the ducks rise I drop the paddle in the creek and mount the gun as quickly as possible. None of this is as easy as it sounds, and the devil is in the details. Much can go wrong, but it is all very sporting and fun. If you can picture this, a left hand curve is ideal. I will go around the curve, not pointed directly downstream, but a little catty-whonkered to the right, ideally allowing me a shot or two to my 10 o'clock.

My one man rig.

But ................ punt gunning fascinates me.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/12/17 04:34 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Gunwolf #494618 11/12/17 04:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW< I live in an area where market gunning flourished.
I've seen the tally sheets and price lists for the sale of harvested game. I don't think it was a big money maker.

Other opportunities (at least in this region) reduced/eliminated it's necessity.

I'm sure there was always a market for fresh shot game, but I think by 1920, the shipping of barrels full of salted/iced canvasbacks, was in the rear view mirror.

When I hunt my local marsh, I remember the earlier writings of a man that shot canvasbacks and rails on the very fields I see as having been diked and drained for food production. By 1930, cooperative flood control was in full swing.

No more celery beds at the end of my road. frown

Out there doing it best I can.
Gunwolf #494621 11/12/17 05:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I enjoyed the video too, CZ. Big water diver duck, and they got a cripple to pop back up. I'm with Stan about that back gunner worry, and I'm glad you mentioned turning the boat for the shot, but boy what a tough one depending how the pile moves around and the boat handles. It did look a bit like the back gunner wasn't on his most comfortable shooting position. Trolling for Walleye's and radios, old school?, made me smile.

I'd also suspect that domesticated livestock availability to the market had a fair bit to do with a shrinking market for game as a retail food source. Thanks again for the video link.

Last edited by craigd; 11/12/17 05:21 PM.
Gunwolf #494625 11/12/17 05:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I confess to adapting to the times.
Bobbing like a cork, not being able to see over the swells, while trying to outsmart a raft of ducks is a primordial experience.
Michigan has enough water that you can make it as ...invigorating?... as you wish.
A radio seems a small concession.

Out there doing it best I can.
Gunwolf #494636 11/12/17 07:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing to do with punt guns or waterfowl, but just the boom of a heavy black powder charge. I have over the years seen several anvils shot. Tried it once myself with about a 98 b anvil. Was a bit conservative with my powder & only lifted it about 3 feet. I was in a "Hollow" nestled between two hills & she still echoed down the valley. At a local $th of July fireworks show we had an older gentleman who would shoot the anvil out in the middle of a footbal field every year. He would lift his around 8-10 feet. The most spectacular I ever saw it done though was at an antique tractor & engine show. They carried their anvils out into an open field away from the crowd & set her off. When that top anvil reached its peak it was a mere speck up in the air, hard to even see. Wen she came down it buried itself in the ground & would have to dug out. That was spectacular. I can definitely imagine the sound of that big punt gun going off over water.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Gunwolf #494638 11/12/17 07:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years ago, a neighbor of a friend's RSA farm invited the members of the RSA to come over to his pond to "take a shot". On the Eastern Shore of Maryland, "take a shot" means to bring a punt gun and kill some ducks. Hundreds of ducks from the RSA (regulated shooting area) had taken up residence on the neighbor's pond after having problems with the quality of water on the RSA ponds. My eight gauges were all 100 miles away, at home, but we showed up with what we had, no punt guns unfortunately. We did the best we could by surrounding the pond and having a good supply of ammunition. I would have paid a big buck for a punt gun that day.

canvasback #494644 11/12/17 08:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Stan

How I wish that I could.

There was an article many, many years ago in the Sporting Clays magazine, as I recall, about a punt gunner who claimed to have killed over 1000 ducks with a single shot, on the bay. The gun jumped loose of it's "moorings", recoiled into him, and broke his jaw, knocking him from his punt into the bay. He was rescued by a game warden who went out two mornings later and picked up over 700 ducks that were dead and frozen in the ice. Great story. I wish so much I had saved it.

SRH

Interesting story but when I hear of 700-1000 ducks being killed with one shot, I'm happy their use has been legislated away. Everything about them is the antithesis of what makes hunting interesting to me and how I feel about wildlife.

I'm with you 110%. Glad that day has been long gone. The guns are interesting and I can understand that (I love "buffalo rifles" but not the results of historic buffalo hunting).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

eightbore #494653 11/12/17 10:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
A few years ago, a neighbor of a friend's RSA farm invited the members of the RSA to come over to his pond to "take a shot". On the Eastern Shore of Maryland, "take a shot" means to bring a punt gun and kill some ducks. Hundreds of ducks from the RSA (regulated shooting area) had taken up residence on the neighbor's pond after having problems with the quality of water on the RSA ponds. My eight gauges were all 100 miles away, at home, but we showed up with what we had, no punt guns unfortunately. We did the best we could by surrounding the pond and having a good supply of ammunition. I would have paid a big buck for a punt gun that day.

Wait a minute there. I thought shooting at migratory birds with anything bigger than 10 gauge was illegal. Whatever one may think of the law, if indeed that is the law, it must be respected. Well at least laws aimed at conservation of.

Gunwolf #494654 11/12/17 10:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

RSA are not migratory water fowl but birds raised and released. Just like a released pheasant does not count against a wild bag limit a bird released and shot on a RSA is not considered migratory and may be shot with what you want subject to current state laws.

KY Jon #494681 11/13/17 10:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure how a game warden would interpret the use of an eight gauge on RSA birds. I would assume Jon is correct, but I'm not sure.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.