April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Fudd), 417 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Average 2"-12 Bore Game Gun - 5# 6 oz, Balance to trigger = 3 5/8", unmounted swing = 0.95, mounted swing = 4.75, bbl length = 26", LOP = 14 1/2", compactness = 9.06

Average Light Game Gun - 6# 4 oz, Bal to trigger = 4", unmounted swing = 1.2, mounted swing = 5.94, bbl length = 28", LOP = 14 3/4", compactness = 9.44

Average Game Gun - 6# 8 oz, bal to trigger = 4 1/2", unmounted swing = 1.45, mounted swing = 6.38, bbl length = 28", LOP = 14 1/4", compactness = 10.17

Comparisons among the three listed gun types shown above show how these types compare quantitatively on average. Post back with any questions.

Stan, if you want 12 bore, very light, rear balance, and very fast swing efforts, the 12-2" does deliver. The key is that you insist on 12 bore.

As far as patterns, I see no reason to imagine the 12-2" would throw patterns any materially different than any other gun with similar choke.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't plan to buy any 2" 12ga guns, but somehow creeping age and open heart surgery has gotten me somewhat recoil sensitive. I'm using my 20ga guns more often. I shot a 20ga Rem 11-87 for ducks in Sask this year and it was alright. I think next year I'm going over to Herters low recoil for my 12ga sxs guns...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are for the man who already owns a larger 12 bore and wants a light little carry gun that weight for weight shot load will out perform a 20. In England we tend to fit the bore to the weight of the gun and shot charge. 9/16th. Oz for a 28, 13/16th. Oz. for a 20 and 15/16th.Oz. for a 16. The 2" 12 was a bit of a novelty in the 1930's in an attempt to reinvent the wheel. Ammo is still available from a number of makers but may not be in stock at every gun shop and may need to be ordered. They are just fun little guns for something different to use sometimes. They mount well and seem to pattern better than they should. I certainly like mine even though it only ventures out a couple of times a year when I am moved to use it. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason I asked about what you hunt with a 2" shell is because I have a little Belgian double 12 ga. with 2 5/8 chambers, I loaded up some 1oz bismuth loads going 1200 fps for duck hunting, it works fine for jump shooting, and probably wold be good for over decoys but not so much for pass shooting, or I'm just getting to be a bad shot frown I have been using my Dickinson 20 for Ducks also, but would love to have something to hunt with this little Belgian, it weighs just over 6 lbs, and compared to my 10 lb 10 ga is a dream to carry.

We are going to do a pheasant/chucker hunt in Dec. all pen raised, so hopefully they will hold until we are close.

Can someone suggest a good load for this gun and those birds, we don't get a lot of chance to hunt upland birds in Utah, at least not where I live.

Thanks
TM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I don't plan to buy any 2" 12ga guns, but somehow creeping age and open heart surgery has gotten me somewhat recoil sensitive. I'm using my 20ga guns more often. I shot a 20ga Rem 11-87 for ducks in Sask this year and it was alright. I think next year I'm going over to Herters low recoil for my 12ga sxs guns...Geo

I actually have a 3" 20 gauge Italian boxlock double that tips the scales at 6 1/2lbs, or so. I would have dismissed it, out of hand, 20 seasons ago, but, dang, if it isn't a comfortable gun to shoot with standard ammunition. It actually handles almost the same as a Spanish 12 gauge boxlock I own, also chambered for 3" ammunition, that I'm not brave enough to feed 3" magnum 12 gauge stuff to. Both were designed for 3" ammunition, but, most days, I am not. I haven't shot at a duck in most of 40 seasons.
20 gauge guns always seemed pretty lethal on upland game to me. I'm thinking that right around the time plastic shot cups replaced felt wads, the difference between a 20 gauge and a 2 1/2" twelve became moot.
I have inherited a ton of 3" 12 and 20 ammunition. I suspect someone is going to inherit it all from me, someday.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always thought that the English 2-inch guns were pretty neat. Handling is usually spectacular and visually... they always looked interesting to me as well. That big standing breach and tubeset on such a petite action always looked so... inviting. I've actually dated women with similar attributes.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/01/17 05:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Brittany Man,

Your first answer is a good one. While I don't feel the need or desire for such, I can get my head around someone maybe wanting that. But, the deal with the 20 ga. shell in the 12 is more of a stretch, IMHO. People spending money to protect themselves from their own carelessness has always been a foreign concept to me.

Thank you for the reply, SRH

Stan,

I don't think the 20 ga shell in a 12 ga gun is a stretch at all. Accidents that I know about happen every few years w the 20 in a 12 & I know of a 28 ga in a 16 ga w/ the same violent result. I'm betting the people it happened to didn't consider themselves careless until after the incident.

I consider myself to be a very detail oriented person & every year after bird season ends I clean out the hunting vests my wife & I use, vacuuming out the game bags & pockets for feathers & debris & removing all empty & loaded hulls before I put them away for the season. Several times over the years I've later found a loaded round that got missed (usually in a vest that doesn't have shell loops in the pockets). Suppose that was a 20 ga shell that got fed into a 12 ga gun while you were reloading & marking a bird down or watching a dog bring a bird in & later a 12 ga shell got dropped on top of it.

My point is that accidents do happen & that is one reason I am not fond of rotating 20 ga guns w/12 ga guns & 28 ga guns w/ 16 ga guns & the 2" 12 ga is another & rather elegant way of avoiding the problem while having a gun of 20 ga weight.

On the sizing issue I really do find a 20ga SxS w/a splinter forend too thin in the left hand & a beavertail forend sort of defeats the purpose of of downsizing to a 20 ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While that's all true, if I had to guess the number of 2" 12 gauge guns sold to prevent a 20/12 accident I'd say exactly zero.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman

Average 2"-12 Bore Game Gun - 5# 6 oz, Balance to trigger = 3 5/8", unmounted swing = 0.95, mounted swing = 4.75, bbl length = 26", LOP = 14 1/2", compactness = 9.06

Average Light Game Gun - 6# 4 oz, Bal to trigger = 4", unmounted swing = 1.2, mounted swing = 5.94, bbl length = 28", LOP = 14 3/4", compactness = 9.44

Average Game Gun - 6# 8 oz, bal to trigger = 4 1/2", unmounted swing = 1.45, mounted swing = 6.38, bbl length = 28", LOP = 14 1/4", compactness = 10.17

Comparisons among the three listed gun types shown above show how these types compare quantitatively on average. Post back with any questions.

Stan, if you want 12 bore, very light, rear balance, and very fast swing efforts, the 12-2" does deliver. The key is that you insist on 12 bore.

As far as patterns, I see no reason to imagine the 12-2" would throw patterns any materially different than any other gun with similar choke.

DDA

Don,

Can you post similar data on 2 or 3 20 gauge examples?

Thanks,
Ken

nialmac Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
I've always thought that the English 2-inch guns were pretty neat. Handling is usually spectacular and visually... they always looked interesting to me as well. That big standing breach and tubeset on such a petite action always looked so... inviting. I've actually dated women with similar attributes.

Have you thought about seeing a shrink? Mistaking a side by side for Venus can sneak up on a man with disastrous results. For the present try repeating the mantra “ this is my rifle, this is my gun, etc etc.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.