May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (eeb, Guy Ave, 2 invisible), 413 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,820
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Gun is very tight and appears to be 95 percent wood/metal condition. It has Briley thin-wall chokes installed (IC/IC) and what I believe to be a non-original recoil pad. It does have 30 inch barrels. I'm a skeet shooter and hunter, not a collector.

Ask on the gun with sales tax would put me in it at $2170. Does this seem like a reasonable deal or do I need to keep looking? I do appreciate any advice you may offer.

Emmett Boylan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Emmett;

I have the twin to this Superposed, with the original boring of "full and fuller" (same year). These guns in their original configuration are the best value you can get in a virtually hand made gun for turkey shooting with 3 inch shells. Someone has ruined the value of this gun of which you are considering and it is only worth a little more than half the price. I paid $1500 for mine 3 years ago. Keep looking as I considering buying an nearly new condition early 1960's model on Gunbroker several months ago for less than the price you were quoted. If I see this gun again on Gunbroker, I will let you know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Emmett;

I found the 3 inch magnum Superposed on Gunbroker after I posted above. The ad does not mention that it is a 3 inch magnum,so many people would pass by, but I know that it is as I called and talked to the dealer several months ago and he told me that it is a one owner gun from a retired WWII bomber pilot. The price is excellent and is $570.00 less than the low value one that you have been offered.

Send me a PM and I will give you the Gunbroker number for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Emmett Boylan
Gun is very tight and appears to be 95 percent wood/metal condition. It has Briley thin-wall chokes installed (IC/IC) and what I believe to be a non-original recoil pad. It does have 30 inch barrels. I'm a skeet shooter and hunter, not a collector.

Ask on the gun with sales tax would put me in it at $2170. Does this seem like a reasonable deal or do I need to keep looking? I do appreciate any advice you may offer.

Emmett Boylan

With the non original condition I'd say it's about a grande over priced....that kind of money can get you a used Browning 725.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you all very much.

Emmett Boylan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Installing the Briley chokes was an expensive alteration which the seller has added to the price. To a Browning collector that gun has zero value. To a shooter is gives it flexibility but not too many hunters use O/U in the field.They tend to want three shot flexibility as well as choke tubes.

Pity, wrong choke configuration was one of my favorite reasons to buy another gun and now with the widespread use of choke tubes that reason is gone. Now I just have gauge, barrel length......

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Briley chokes, with shipping and 5 tubes, are around $550. 1959 is one of the best years for old supers. The gun originally came with a Browning marked Pachmayr pad. None of the 12 Gauge standard grade supers from the 50's have any collector value. At 95% the gun is probably worth around $1200 and the chokes add a little value, but not equal to the cost of the chokes. I would say the gun is worth around $1500 retail.

The 12 magnum from the 50's is almost identical with the trap model from the 50's except for the stock and forearm wood. Trap and magnum models were the only 50's guns catalogued with a 30" ventilated rib barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Magnums of that era seem to have thicker barrels than other models.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It depends on some other things as well. How nice is the wood and its finish? if it has an above average piece of wood with some black streaks and figure, I would give that a $300 bump. Length of pull? If it is less than 14", knock off $200. It could be an $1800 gun tops if it has a lot of eye appeal and fits you well. Otherwise, around twelve to fourteen hundred. The Briley chokes are a benefit for steel shot usage also.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Again, thank you all for your help.

The gun does in fact have its original pad. The wood is ordinary, appropriate to the grade, and has numerous handling marks, as well as what appears to be a worm hole in the forend checkering. The blue has only a couple small marks and appears to be more of a matte finish than a bright blue. There are only the two choke tubes. There is no case.

I have offered $1500, and they responded with $1800 as the best they can do. I will pass.

Regards,
Emmett Boylan

Last edited by Emmett Boylan; 06/22/17 12:16 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.