May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, Jtplumb, Perry M. Kissam, Toby Barclay, 1 invisible), 315 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,876
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Good Morning! Men.
It's 2 AM EST, and I have to shoot at 4:30, so I'm a bit unsettled. But, in general, I like being on holiday. Especially when there are guns and shooting involved.

A few of my thoughts.
Give yourself permission to enjoy this. Go all in.

Go to "Gentleman's Tonic" while in London, and experience what a real haircut and straight razor shave is all about.

Stop into William and Son, and try not to go broke.
They put the "Mmmmm" in memento.

Walk over to Holland and Holland, and handle the "Sporter".

Go to Cording's, ask to be fitted, see where that takes you.
Walk around, window shop a bit.

Eat a chunk of fish wrapped in a newspaper.
Drink a pint somewhere.

Take a few deep breaths, and head to the deep end of the pool.
Catch a cab to "Gunmaker's Night".

Truthfully, being in a room with nearly all of the world's best gunmakers is a bit of a stretch for a working man. Culturally and psychologically, not necessarily mechanically.

And, having done dozens of trade shows in the United States, I have a long history of experience. But not in "Luxury items". And that is what this "show" is about.

So, if you couple being a jet "lead" (not lagged) American (that no one knows), with luxury goods, and the planet's finest maker's, it was destined to be an interesting evening.

Some "findings" (YMMV of course)

Brit's don't seem to "sell" quite like American's do. They make available to "buy". That's a bit different.

Inquiry was a bit stiff. So, as an American, if you are used to having your arse kissed because you have money, and the world you generally travel in know's this, well, there's always someone who has more, they had an empire, and they shoot.
So, good luck with that.

Bespoke is a big term.
You better be ready to go deep, or be content to be a patron, and trust somebody else's choices for you along the way.

St Ledger's colors are unsurpassed. Get those.

Purdey's woodwork is the best.

High pheasants, and competitive target shooting, are taking the elan out of barrel making.

Get a swamped rib.

Handle a Boxall and Edmiston.
Try to find a reason not to buy one.

Don't ask about Longthorne.

Edward King puts the "Bon" in "Bon Vivant!".

Alan Rose is ageless.

Chris Batha is as big in person as on video.

Changeable chokes don't belong there.

Wear a jacket and tie.

In England, all they eat is smashed peas and Indian food. wink

There are people that are grace. They make small bores.

I'll have more to say about the experience later.

Love this, thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you had a lovely evening. Thanks for sharing I'll have to plan on attending in the near future.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.