May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jem Finch, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 350 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,521
Posts545,765
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have heard ads on the radio up here in NH, just wondered if anyone had dealt with Mr James Cook @ vermont Gunbroker?
I have a couple I might want to sell, so I sent him a email with some details.
I will also do the same here on the sale page
Just wondering
I have a Belgian SLE from 1929
& a WW Greener 1901 steel sleeved bbls w re proof, jones under lever
both Pigeon guns I guess..
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, time for my continuing education class on guns to start.
Franc, why did you say "....both pigeon guns I guess." What would make a gun a pigeon gun? What would one see that would bring that conclusion? I have heard this phrase used before in gun descriptions but never really new what a pigeon gun was, and your comment made me decide to ask.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

For use in live pigeon events, I would assume.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Perry,
By Pigeon Gun, I guess I mean that they are both heavier than your average game gun, in my case 7 1/2lbs (Belgian) & 7lb 12oz(Greener)..also the stock dimensions for drop @ heel & comb are on the "thin side" such that the gun will pattern on the high side...you see a good bit more of the rib when mounted.Ribs are wide & flat, with long (30") bbls.A wee bit muzzle heavy too.Usually pretty well built, as some reputations were on the line when shooting live pigeon shoots
Perhaps Pigeon gun means different things to different folk, but those are what I kinda of think of when a P gun is mentioned.
Also my Greener has a "blue rock" pigeon engraved on the rib at the breech.
They seem to make good sporting clay guns,thats what i use em for.. pass shooting duck too, perhaps
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Franc. What you say makes perfect sense but as I was thinking about it the term "pigeon grade" came to mind and I thought it was time to ask. Again, thanks for the continuing education. Anyone who thinks we are too old to learn obviously never joined this board!!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

They usually have a file cut rib as well.
That is a rib that has straight lines across it at about 45 to the inch.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most purpose-built live pigeon guns were fairly heavy, tightly choked, and had no safety, and they often had long barrels of 32", 34", and even longer. The heavy weight was desired because of the recoil and number of heavy loads fired. Toward the end of the days of live pigeon shooting, the gun weight was limited to 8 lbs. Supposedly, the reason for no safety was due to the large amount of money wagered in these events. No ardent competitor wanted to miss even a single bird due to forgetting to disengage a safety. This was also a reason why Syracuse Lefevers were built with a feature to disable the safety.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
No ardent competitor wanted to miss even a single bird due to forgetting to disengage a safety. This was also a reason why Syracuse Lefevers were built with a feature to disable the safety.

And also one of the reasons several of my doubles have the automatic safety feature disabled. I would be perfectly happy with no safety slide at all on my doubles. My finger never enters the trigger guard until the microsecond before I trigger the gun anyway.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We all differ in good ways. I wouldn't have a gun without automatic safety. Feeble as my brain is if I had a mix of them--auto and non auto--I'd be a blathering idiot trying to remember which was what. Sliding a safety off is just an automatic reflex of mine. I even shoot skeet with safety on when calling for the bird.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.