May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, bushveld, 4 invisible), 586 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,679
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ken D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Does anyone know the actual thread size of the tumbler shaft stud that the hammer nut fits onto? It is not 8x32 and I don't think quite 8x36. Customer brought one into the shop ( s# manf. 1880)that needs a hammer nut and it has a damaged thread that was butchered when someone in the past forced s spanner nut onto the stud to hold the Left hammer in place. Brownells' gun tech bench does not have any data on the Colt SxS 1878.

Ken @ padnchecker
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't recall the exact pitch but I do know it is non standard. Does the right tumbler (stud) appear to be original? If so then you can measure its length, count the threads and with a little math should be able to determine the actual pitch. Coltparts.com has a tumbler nut listed. Maybe contacting them will provide an exact answer.

Hank

Yes, I did write a book. It's called "The Classic English Double Barrel"
Ken D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I'll give it a try, the stud is quite short, also never thought about e-mailing Colt> will try that also>>>THANKS!

Ken @ padnchecker
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Colt parts list shows an asterisk at the end of hammer nut line. The footnote says limited or no stock. I'd bet they don't have any.

The above picture is of an original Colt lock and a Chinese copy sold by Cameron. If all else fails.... maybe the Chinese parts may work.

Ken D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well folks here it is 14 JAN 17 and I have filed an official complaint with the Western Washington Better Business Bureau against Colt Parts. I received a reply from Colt Parts stating that they had one hammer nut in stock, send check and will send part when it clears>>all fine right WRONG<<<< sent check before Thanksgiving and still have not received my part. I have even written them letters with all correspondence enclosed and contact phone numbers. They do not respond to e-mail nor answer their phone and their voicemail box is always full. My advise is do not do business with Colt Parts, they have in excess of 20 complaints filed against them!!

My solution to the Colt hammer nut problem was to contact Cimmeron in Texas and obtain a nut from them and rethread it to 8x32 tpi, then reduce it in height to the thickness of the existing original, remove the blueing boil in bleach until begins to rust, cold blue round over edges and spot wirebrush>> looks like it original. The damaged tumbler shaft was recut to 8 x 32 also after consulting with a machinist for accurate measurement of the good parts. When I was finished both hammernuts will interchange and you have to look very close to see any difference in the two.

Ken @ padnchecker
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would there have been any chance the threads were metric? I just found screws for an old Stevens 225 that turned out 4Mx.7 worked perfectly. There has been rumors that them Colt was actually made in England. Maybe was, maybe not. But maybe major components - like the locks were sorced from England.

Ken D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

that is the pitch that the Cimarron nut was and no it wouldn't think of fitting to the un-messed-up tumbler stud. That said the rethreading worked the proper magic as either hammer nut work on either sideplate assembly.

Ken @ padnchecker
Ken D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

WA State BBB replied to the complaint that I filed and has closed it because Colt Parts has failed to respond to numerous contacts from the BBB on this complaint, so I am considering contacting the Washington State AG consumer fraud division to see if an out-of-stater can file a complaint. It is not the $25 I lost but the principal of fraud. Yes I am P-O-d!!

Ken @ padnchecker
Ken D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have filed a fraud complaint with the Illinois AG

Ken @ padnchecker

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.