April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, JDH, Jimmy W, Pwog, MD2, 1 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

RecoilRob,
That is why I said above, the proper way to measure the "slug" is with a "V" anvil micrometer or specially made "V" block and normal micrometer. The other methods I mentioned are approximations. The high points on the "slug" represent the grooves in the barrel You can measure the "bore" diameter directly, with a "small hole gauge" and a normal micrometer.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I understand that Mike but I have the slug in hand, I am confident the measurements are correct and my math is correct, I don't feel the need to go any further, in my opinion, the bore is tight.

If you have such a tool can I mail you a slug so you can confirm or refute?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, even a small hole gage is problematic in measuring bore size. The best method is with a series of pin or plug gages. I believe this was mentioned in the AR thread. That will give a true reading of bore dimensions.

Unfortunately, JES has not responded to either of these threads. His input is very important. I find it difficult to believe that only these two rifles have undersized bores since, it can be assumed all are done with the same tooling.

Jim H.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy on AR doesn't seem to grasp that a slug will only record the smallest spot in the barrel.

Mike
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
The guy on AR doesn't seem to grasp that a slug will only record the smallest spot in the barrel.

Is not the "small spot" the fly in the ointment?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll push a slug all the way through the bore to feel if I can tell how uneven a bore is, but I admit I doubt I'm much good at picking up small differences. The only bore I worry about slugging is just past the throat, then push it back out the way it came in.

A good rifle barrel can have some choke in it, sort of like a shotgun barrel, and I believe it's a mistake to judge a barrel or choose a bullet based on what could be a little tight spot at the muzzle. It's very possible that a good cut rifler is aware of that, particularly since a prefinished barrel can't be shortened to clean up a bad muzzle.

Some barrels just don't shoot well, but that doesn't seem to be the problem here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RecoilRob,
If your mind is made up, I can't change it. I do have a "V" block, but I made it for 5 groove barrels, 3 groove takes a different included angle. If a .358" bullet will easily enter the neck of a case fired in the rifle, then .358" bullets can be used w/o problems. BTW, my small hole gauges are round on the end, I wasn't talking about telescoping gauges, which are used on larger holes.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was referring to small hole gages, not telescoping gages. They are round, but smaller than the diameter being measured and still end up measuring point to point, making it difficult to get an accurate measurement. You can use feel to get an average reading by rotating as you open them, but it is difficult to get a true reading.

Jim H.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC,
Pin gauges can also be misused. If they are not presented precisely "square" to the bore the mechanic may think that one that actually fits is too large. The old German proofs used them to determine bore diameter, with their gauges being in .01mm steps. A barrel then marked 7.7, might be 7.71 or it might be 7.79 and still not accept a 7.8 gauge. Or it might be 7.8, if the gauge was not properly presented, at first.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike,

My mind isn't made up but I don't think we're on the same page.

What does a 0.358 bullet entering the neck of a fired case have to do with a tight bore?

Rob

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
RecoilRob,
If your mind is made up, I can't change it. I do have a "V" block, but I made it for 5 groove barrels, 3 groove takes a different included angle. If a .358" bullet will easily enter the neck of a case fired in the rifle, then .358" bullets can be used w/o problems. BTW, my small hole gauges are round on the end, I wasn't talking about telescoping gauges, which are used on larger holes.
Mike

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.