April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 55 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 54 55
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rev,

Getting back to your Greener recipe and method, does that read correct? Just keep applying coats of rusting formula for a whole day and card just once a day?

The boil would give a black, not brown, correct? Thought the English guns were mostly "Browned"?

I have the day off, it's hot and humid with a good breeze. Busted out the LMF that has been sitting around unopened for nearly a year and am giving a "Brown" finish a try.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
775 #61642 10/18/07 01:54 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

775: straight from his book and I believe the best advice would be DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! As Pete said, this is extremely dangerous stuff, and we're talking about techniques used almost 200 years ago.
Have you seen the 'Flanigan's Damascus Restoration' album?
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=17977891

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No worries on the mercury Rev, am trying the "process" with Laurel Mountain Forge solution.

Yup, read that link a while back(and saved it, thank you), seems to be a "black" process though and thought the Greener method still possible with modern chemistry for a "Brown"?

If I skip the Boil?

Thanks for the concern!
Mark

Ms. Raven
775 #61650 10/18/07 02:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BTW: Not sure what the 'Sp. Wine' is, but pretty sure it's for the browning mixture, not the browning-person

I haven't heard from Paul Stevens in a bit, but he was working on marketing a 'Browning' solution
paul@stevensandjohnson.freeserve.co.uk

Last edited by revdocdrew; 10/18/07 02:54 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eureka-now THIS is interesting!!
?SILVER-STEEL FOUND?

In The Gun, or a Treatise on the Various Descriptions of Small Fire-Arms by William Greener 1835, Mr Wiswould’s Iron Barrels and a similar product called Silver Steel are described as ¾ steel and ¼ iron which were also fused into a “bloom”, welded under tilt hammers, then rolled into rods. This might represent early Two Rod Laminated Steel as the 'billet' did not start with the 'piling' of alternating iron and steel strips, but the fused iron and steel mixture which was then flattened into strips, twisted, wound around the mandrel, and welded.
In William Wellington Greener's The Gun and Its Development, 1907, Junior stated that Silver Steel was "used by the author."
A percussion W. Greener 12b #19707 is on the Julia auction site which is stamped "Inventor of Laminated Steel" on top rib. Unfortunately, no close up of the barrels is provided, nor the date of manufacture.
This Keith Kearcher refinished late 1880s Greener G60 was felt to have Bernard I damascus BUT it seems more likely that this is Silver Steel, and does resemble the illustration in the 1935 book

I believe someone here sent me that pic. Anyone else out there with a Greener with similar barrels??

Last edited by revdocdrew; 10/19/07 12:16 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WOW-the damascus crucible runneth over!!

Shooting By Baron Thomas de Grey Walsingham, Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey, Lord Charles Lennox Kerr, Archibald John Stuart-Wortley, Gerald Lascelles, Simon Fraser Lovat 1886 http://books.google.com/books?id=MT9NF4B...th+edition+1910
A Short History of Gun-making starts on p. 51 http://books.google.com/books?id=MT9NF4B...and%22#PPA51,M1

And on p. 73 some great stuff:
"Best Silver Steel Damascus barrels contain over 70% of the finest steel, and it is the systematic twisting and arrangement of the iron and steel bars, as they are welded together and beaten into a flat ribbon before being coiled into the form of a tube, that give the beautiful figure or pattern observed in a first-class twist barrel..."
"Laminated steel barrels differ but slightly from those known as 'Damascus.' The former were first made by Mr. W. Greener (senior), of Birmingham, about 1850, and were composed of three parts steel and one part iron. At the present time the best English damascus, as well as laminated steel barrels, contain over 60% of the harder metal, and there is little perceptible difference between Damascus and a laminated Damascus barrel, as both are of very similar workmanship and materials."

Last edited by revdocdrew; 10/19/07 02:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew-

The gun barrels pictured belong to my younger brother's Greener and I have actually held and fired that shotgun before Keith worked on it. This is really a very sweet shotgun by the way, Keith not only did the barrels but he bedded the stock and tightened up the action, which wasn't too bad as found. The gun has a lot of very well done engraving and really all it lacks is ejectors to make it "all tricked out" and I strongly suspect that as anyone ordering that shotgun could have afforded anything he wanted...the owner simply had no use for ejectors.

When I began to understand, thanks mostly to you, that the white of a damascus barrel represented steel, I too was amazed at these barrels because they had more white pattern than dark (almost the reverse of the typical pattern).

Are "silver steel" barrels rare?

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Doug-I'll add the appropriate attribution to the pic.
And in answer to your question, I didn't know there was such a thing until yesterday!

Sidelock
Sidelock

revdocdrew:

The definition of "steel" is what I took note of in reading some of Greener's publications. If I understand it correctly, they deemed iron(horsenail stubs, saws, etc.) to be better than steel. And then the types of barrels, all with some addition of steel. But as I have said, I think their school of thought changed with time.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Drew,

That is great info. I think I have a gun "similar" barrels. Here is pictued of my 16 bore Greener, started in 1883 and finished in 1886. The barrels look similar to my eye. Unfortunately the photo is not as good as the one you posted. I still have not figured out people take such clear closeups.

http://truffula.fr.umn.edu/~kwythers/images/IMG_1.jpg

Last edited by kray; 10/23/07 01:08 AM.
Page 35 of 55 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.