April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (eeb, Fudd, bushveld, Geoff Roznak, 2 invisible), 416 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#458332 10/05/16 05:37 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Best options for removing old oil on older shotgun stock?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try using something like mineral spirits, nothing stronger. If it's in the wood just live with it or plan on a complete refinish.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you want to completely strip the finish and get all the oil out that has soaked in the wood?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan the gun is probably a 1920's with lots of old oil. Pretty nice wood. Don't want to do a lot of heavy sanding. Just want as much oil out as possible to refinish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Citristrip is really easy to use and won't hurt you or the wood

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wipe the stock down to remove the surface finish. A lot of old finishes will dissolve with denatured alcohol, available at any hardware store. While there get a heat lamp. The kind you put over young chicks (the bird kind!). Lay the stock on some paper towels with the heat lamp over it and watch the oil run out. You can also wipe away oil on the surface with a rag.

Now of course don't leave it unattended and don't get the lamp too close to the wood. Use the back of your hand to judge the temperature. You want it warm but not hot.

Last edited by Hammergun; 10/06/16 01:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

C&F, if it has just a small amount of old oil soaked in, heat will draw most of it out . You can use your oven to do it, if your wifey is agreeable. smile Or, the heat lamp, as HG mentioned. If it is really oil soaked it is going to take a soak in acetone to remove it all, IMO. I have "salvaged" some really saturated buttstocks this way. Your can do a search for acetone/alcohol soak, and read probably pages about it. I think there may even be a "sticky" somewhere detailing it. Done properly it will remove all the oil. Some have said they have still had oil to come to the surface days later after the soaking ....... I haven't had that problem. It also should not require heavy sanding after drying, to get ready for the refinish.

Good luck, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
C&F, if it has just a small amount of old oil soaked in, heat will draw most of it out . You can use your oven to do it, if your wifey is agreeable. smile...Good luck, SRH

"Wifey" has not agreed to anything involving guns in her kitchen since I used a bore brush and hot water in her kitchen sink to clean the black powder residue out of my Scott hammergun. Soot spots still on the ceiling...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Black powder shooters need to clean their weapons out in the barn where they belong not in the kitchen. I'll never forget her reaction when I touched off my revolver (A 1851 Colt's revolving belt pistol in naval caliber to be exact) at the range, Was it "Nice shot" NO, "Was it, "I see how they work now" No. It was, "Oh my lord does that stink."

Citristrip and Acetone will do the job without sanding.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, got a good laugh outa that, as I can well picture it. Have a friend with a bp Joseph Manton flintlock. He said I could shoot it if I cleaned it. Kinda like the Brit cars from the 70's- drive 'em for five minutes and work on 'em for two hours.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.